Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Montalto
-> Translations

#16: Re: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Mont Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:51 pm
    ----
KK_Danos wrote:
Can anyone tell if the first document in this grouping is one of the "triplicate copies" or if this is another land/house sale?

Arrow home.mchsi.com/~kkdano..._and_d.pdf

The next two documents seen here: Arrow
Seem to leave a blank where the bride or groom's names should be. Is this correct or am I misinterpreting the documents?

Again, thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. I am just learning and appreciate any and all advice and insight into researching my family. Very Happy

giornale

That's weird!
On the same day (Oct 3, 1910), Antonio Achille Coscarelli sells the same house to Giuseppe Lato, son of Luigi!

In the second page (there are only 2 documents in this PDF),
the mayor of Montalto Uffugo certifies that Rosina Serpa, daughter of the late Pietro, single, farmer, aged 25, born and living in Montalto Uffugo, is emigrationg to New York, more precisely to Austin Colorado, to join her brother in law Francesco Lato son of Luigi Box ??
The document date is 27 feb 1908.

#17: Re: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Mont Author: KK_Danos PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:00 pm
    ----
liviomoreno wrote:
KK_Danos wrote:
Can anyone tell if the first document in this grouping is one of the "triplicate copies" or if this is another land/house sale?

Arrow home.mchsi.com/~kkdano..._and_d.pdf

The next two documents seen here: Arrow
Seem to leave a blank where the bride or groom's names should be. Is this correct or am I misinterpreting the documents?

Again, thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. I am just learning and appreciate any and all advice and insight into researching my family. Very Happy

giornale

That's weird!
On the same day (Oct 3, 1910), Antonio Achille Coscarelli sells the same house to Giuseppe Lato, son of Luigi!

the mayor of Montalto Uffugo certifies that Rosina Serpa, daughter of the late Pietro, single, farmer, aged 25, born and living in Montalto Uffugo, is emigrationg to New York, more precisely to Austin Colorado, to join her brother in law Francesco Lato son of Luigi Box ??

Wow, that is weird! I am not sure what that means or why... hmm family mysteries.

Thanks! The second document helps to establish a relationship between Luigi, Giuseppe and Francesco that was really hard for me to sort out from the papers I found. So this means Francesco and Giuseppe were brothers. I think the "Box" is a mistake or a reference to another doc? with Lato as the last name. Thank goodness you can read the handwriting. It was making me go cross-eyed.

The other two documents are here:
home.mchsi.com/~kkdano..._doc_f.pdf

and

home.mchsi.com/~kkdano..._doc_g.pdf

Thank you!!

#18: Re: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Mont Author: KK_Danos PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:02 pm
    ----
Quote::

That's weird!

I meant to ask, did the first document regarding the re-sale of the house mention anything else?

#19: Re: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Mont Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:10 pm
    ----
As a reference, I decided to look up Rosina Serpa's ship manifest. Her manifest has listed that she is going to see her brother-in-law Francesco Lato and his address is listed as Box 11. Perhaps the Box in the document she posted is not a name but a location?
The date she arrived in NY on the ship Sannio is March 20, 1908.

#20: Re: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Mont Author: KK_Danos PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:11 pm
    ----
Cathy wrote:
As a reference, I decided to look up Rosina Serpa's ship manifest. Her manifest has listed that she is going to see her brother-in-law Francesco Lato and his address is listed as Box 11. Perhaps the Box in the document she posted is not a name but a location?
The date she arrived in NY on the ship Sannio is March 20, 1908.

Oh, Cathy, you are awesome! I owe you a bottle of wine or something. Thank you! Very Happy

#21: Re: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Mont Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:21 pm
    ----
Your welcome! For reference and so KK can have a copy here is Rosina's 2 page ship manifest. She is on line 6.
PAGE 1
PAGE 2
Livio...what do you think about Box being a location?

#22: Re: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Mont Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:28 am
    ----
Cathy wrote:
Your welcome! For reference and so KK can have a copy here is Rosina's 2 page ship manifest. She is on line 6.
PAGE 1
PAGE 2
Livio...what do you think about Box being a location?

I believe that Box 11 is the Post Office Box address of Francesco Lato. Rosa did not know the full address but only the address where Francesco could receive a letter.

In this manifest, the name of Rosa's mother is reported as Aloise Feudo, instead of Teresina Lo Feudo.

#23: Re: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Mont Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:41 am
    ----
KK_Danos wrote:
The other two documents are here:
home.mchsi.com/~kkdano..._doc_f.pdf

and

home.mchsi.com/~kkdano..._doc_g.pdf

Thank you!!

The first document is a certificate from the Civil State Office, stating that as of Dec 23, 1907 Rosa Serpa did not get married in Montalto Uffugo and was not planning to get married.

The first document is a certificate from the Civil State Office, stating that as of Jan 10, 1908 Giuseppe Lato, son of Luigi, did not get married in Montalto Uffugo.

#24: Re: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Mont Author: KK_Danos PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:11 am
    ----
Quote::

I believe that Box 11 is the Post Office Box address of Francesco Lato. Rosa did not know the full address but only the address where Francesco could receive a letter.

In this manifest, the name of Rosa's mother is reported as Aloise Feudo, instead of Teresina Lo Feudo.

Livio, thank you very much. I'm not sure why it would said Aloise Feudo as the mother. It must be a mistake. The only thing I can think of is that the person writing the names misunderstood her?

I'm also, guessing about the statement of non marriage, but this would go along with the theory that she was coming to America to marry Giuseppe. I would assume such a document would clear any doubt if she was leaving behind a fiance or husband in Montalto Uffugo and show she was cleared for marriage.

Again, Livio, thank you so very much for your help!

-> Translations