Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: FTM 2009 ---- Any tips on use of FTM 2009???
-> PC Info and Guides

#1: FTM 2009 ---- Any tips on use of FTM 2009??? Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:35 pm
    ----
I just purchased FTM 2009......I have been using earlier versions for a long time but I was wondering if anyone experienced with this new version has any tips for use or any issues/problems with this version? I am especially interested in any "error/duplicate record finding" capabilities.

Also if anyone is interested in this package, I just purchased the Platinum Version from Amazon for $87.50 ---- this comes with a 6 month subscription to ancestry.com ------ when you register the program it will take you in to set up your ancestry account ---- the setup will ask for a CC #, but if you call them you can register w/o a CC#.....they want to set you up for "AUTOMATIC RENEWAL" but they will let you "opt out"..... It is a good deal for anyone who needs to use ancestry as you basically get the subscription for about $10 per month....I only can use ancestry for a small amount of my research as I mostly deal with FHC Microfilm, so the 6 month deal is perfect for me.

It also comes with an Ancestry Reference Library and the FTM Little Book of Answers (Tips, Tools and Extras)

#2: Re: FTM 2009 ---- Any tips on use of FTM 2009??? Author: BonValLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:11 am
    ----
Make sure you update it...that eliminates many of the errors...also...I am getting used to the source templates that came with this update we just got..pretty neat.
As for ancestry...use the trial to find all manifests, military records, cards, etc...view original records...I found many siblings and spouses' names I would not otherwise have found (I wouldn't have known to look for them) in microfilms...many of Itri records were not filmed forvariety of reasons so a name and approximate ages give me hints to look for in the microfilms. Plus I did find some folks visiting and returning and such.

#3: Re: FTM 2009 ---- Any tips on use of FTM 2009??? Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:28 pm
    ----
BonVal wrote:
Make sure you update it...that eliminates many of the errors...also...I am getting used to the source templates that came with this update we just got..pretty neat.
As for ancestry...use the trial to find all manifests, military records, cards, etc...view original records...I found many siblings and spouses' names I would not otherwise have found (I wouldn't have known to look for them) in microfilms...many of Itri records were not filmed forvariety of reasons so a name and approximate ages give me hints to look for in the microfilms. Plus I did find some folks visiting and returning and such.

Thanks....I have pretty much found all those items [manifests, census, military cards) over the years I have been researching my family.....just looking for anything that is newly released over the last year or two....I saw they now have some naturalization records.....

-> PC Info and Guides