Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Gr-Grandfather's Disappearing Act
-> General Discussion Groups

#16: Re: Gr-Grandfather's Disappearing Act Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:36 pm
    ----
Mary

I was looking at the 1901 manifest and the cousin he is going to in Du Bois is Giuseppe Danza? Do you know if he had relatives with the surname Danza or is it something else? I've been trying to track him to find Francesco and not having much luck. Also, for Giuseppe Danza (sp.) can you make a guess if he was from Ardore or somewhere else? I inserted Giuseppe as being contained in the name and starts with D searching Ardore and didn't come up with anything.

#17: Re: Gr-Grandfather's Disappearing Act Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:16 pm
    ----
The surname is D'anna, Billie. Here's another list of Ardore immigrants I put together from the Ellis Island site:

www.calabriaexchange.c...tsC_M.html

Here`s one Giuseppe..

First Name: Giuseppe
Last Name: D'Anna
Ethnicity: Italian, Italy S.
Last Place of Residence: Ardore
Date of Arrival: May 04, 1901
Age at Arrival: 19y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Belgravia
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0010

I am cooking so I haven`t looked it over yet. Then I need to reboot. PC is going funky on me....

#18: Re: Gr-Grandfather's Disappearing Act Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:45 pm
    ----
Thanks nuccia. I've been trying to find census info and have had very little luck. I'm not giving up just yet.

#19: Re: Gr-Grandfather's Disappearing Act Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:28 pm
    ----
Looks like Giuseppe moved to Jefferson PA by 1918 and named Domenico Danna in Ardore Superior as his nearest relative...no mention of Francesco at all.

#20: Re: Gr-Grandfather's Disappearing Act Author: maryLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:17 pm
    ----
Hi Nuccia,

This past week I found the marriage certificate for my g-grandparents in the previous posts.

What is really interesting is that his mother's name is Giuditta Belcastro and looking through the death records I found a Maria Belcastro who was married to a Giuseppe Angilletta -- so you and I may be related.

I am attempting to attach the death certificate with Imageshack, but it's the first time I try it and I'm not sure if I'm doing right. Here goes, if it doesn't work I'll email it to you.

#21: Re: Gr-Grandfather's Disappearing Act Author: maryLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm
    ----
And I was worried it wouldn't attach. I'll try and figure out how to make it smaller next time.

#22: Re: Gr-Grandfather's Disappearing Act Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:35 pm
    ----
Hi Mary,

I resized it for you. I used

upmyphoto.com/index.php

Code 2: Hotlink a clickable thumbnail on a Forum or Message Board. Select URL

I found it works pretty good. Unfortunately, like all image uploading programs, the links go dead after a year or so but I uploaded it to my website as well here:
www.angilletta.info/Ar...castro.jpg
This Giuseppe *is* related to me. I think he may have been my great grandfather, Rocco's brother -. I am now dying to find the marriage record (which should be in Gioiosa). Thanks Mary - it will be interesting to see if we do connect.

#23: Re: Gr-Grandfather's Disappearing Act Author: maryLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:54 pm
    ----
Hello "cugina" Nuccia.

It seems that we are connected. Today I went to the FHL to view the 1884 records for Ardore. I found my gg-grandmother's (Giuditta Belcastro) death act and she is the sister of your Maria Belcastro. My Giuditta was born c1814 and died in 1884; your Maria was born c1822 and died in 1894. Both were born in Gioiosa and both died in Bombile.

I took pictures of the index for the 1884 Ardore marriages. There were no birth records for this year and the death indexes were barely visible. I'll transcribe the marriage index and get it to you as soon as I can.

Mary

#24: Re: Gr-Grandfather's Disappearing Act Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:07 am
    ----
That's so cool Mary! I always knew we somehow would tie our families together!

Wasn't Maria married to Giuseppe Angilletta? I don't have parents names for Maria and Giuditta so I guess we should merge some of our information now.

#25: Re: Gr-Grandfather's Disappearing Act Author: maryLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:52 am
    ----
Their parents were Giuseppe Belcastro and Catarina Pisciuneri. I had sent you Maria's death record (your link to it is in one of the above posts).

You think that your Maria was married in Gioiosa. I wonder if my Giuditta was married there, too. She married GioBattista Mule'. That might explain why I haven't found their son's birth record in Ardore. He might have been born in Gioiosa even though his marriage record says he was born in Ardore. I'll keep you informed when I find out more.

Mary

#26: Re: Gr-Grandfather's Disappearing Act Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:00 am
    ----
Thanks Mary. I will also keep a look out. Many times marriages did take place in the town of the bride so it's quite possible.

#27: Re: Gr-Grandfather's Disappearing Act Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:55 pm
    ----
Mary - Carm has been sending me some records (lots of records) and I found that Giuseppe's marriage to Maria was actually his 3rd marriage! Unfortunately when my PC crashed all my notes went with it but I still have everything buried in here - just have to re enter it all. So yes, my family went from Gioiosa to Ardore and then some to Bombile, some to San I'lario and then Bruzzano Zeffrino and Locri!
Time to start looking at the adjoining communi more carefully. I'm going to see if Carm has anything in his database for the Belcastro's and some of your other surnames. Wonder why they all chose to go to Ardore from there...

#28: Re: Gr-Grandfather's Disappearing Act Author: maryLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:28 pm
    ----
Thanks, Nuccia.

I haven't done any genealogy in quite a while. Sorry, I haven't been able to transcribe any more Ardore records. A family situation has kept me busy with other matters.

But -- on Thursday I am going up to the FHL to view 1909 and 1871 which I had ordered in early February. Anything in those years I can look up for you? I will make a point to look through the Gioiosa records as well as Ardore.

Have a Happy Easter.
Mary

#29: Re: Gr-Grandfather's Disappearing Act Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:30 am
    ----
I'm sorry to hear things aren't well with you but I understand and no worries. I've had a lot going on here too so I have only just started researching again too. I'll shoot an email sometime this week.

Kisses

-> General Discussion Groups