Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: footnote opinion, please
-> Resource Pages

#1: footnote opinion, please Author: qnana PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:28 pm
    ----
I'm curious - do those of you who joined Footnote.com feel it is worth it?

Thanks,
qnana Question

#2: Re: footnote opinion, please Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:14 pm
    ----
Hi qnana

Speaking for myself, yes I think it has been worth the money.

#3: Re: footnote opinion, please Author: qnana PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:19 pm
    ----
Thanks, I've been thinking about it instead of Ancestry, which ends in 2 months. It's rather expensive and I think I have exhausted the majority of my needs.
I appreciate your response-
qnana

#4: Re: footnote opinion, please Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:34 pm
    ----
Just so you know, footnote does not have Ellis Island manifest's and limited census information. What it does have that ancestry doesn't have is scanned images of Petitions to Naturalize, Oath's etc. Ancestry only has the index card's for naturalization's. I've also been able to find actual documentation on specific WWI and WWII events (my grandfather was in the Army during WWI and my father was in the Navy during WWII). I'm enjoying my Footnote subscription a great deal.

So, I guess I'd have to say that ancestry has documents that footnote doesn't have and footnote has documents that ancestry doesn't have. I have both ancestry and footnote and would be happy to look up information on either for you when needed.

#5: Re: footnote opinion, please Author: qnana PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:39 pm
    ----
You are a kind soul!

You may have sold me with the petitions, etc. I have my grandfather's original naturalization document but have been unable to find the Declaration or Petition. Thank you for clarifying the strengths and weaknesses of each.

qnana Smile

#6: Re: footnote opinion, please Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:07 pm
    ----
No problem. If you'd like to give me your grandfathers name that he naturalized under, spouse, kids etc and which state I can try to find it on footnote for you.

#7: Re: footnote opinion, please Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:02 am
    ----
qnana wrote:
You are a kind soul!

You may have sold me with the petitions, etc. I have my grandfather's original naturalization document but have been unable to find the Declaration or Petition. Thank you for clarifying the strengths and weaknesses of each.

qnana Smile
Just so you know...Footnote has signed a deal with the National Archives and will be working hard to get all the petitions and declarations online. But the project will take some time so keep checking.

#8: Re: footnote opinion, please Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:04 am
    ----
removed

Last edited by lilbees on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

#9: Re: footnote opinion, please Author: qnana PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:43 am
    ----
Thank you Elizabeth and Cathy for your input.

Elizabeth, I am going to take advantage of your offer please:

Francesco Iacobellis
wife Lucilla
sons Thomas and Francis
residing 295 E. 144th St.
No. 1420940 shown in upper left hand corner of document
Petition Volume 84 Num. 20832
Special Term of the Supreme Court of Bronx County, Bronx N.Y.
4 Aug. 1920

I truly appreciate any help you can give me.
qnana Smile

#10: Re: footnote opinion, please Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:51 pm
    ----
Well I've searched using every spelling of the last name, wild cards even Lucilla and I'm coming up with nothing on Footnote. I'll keep trying.

#11: Re: footnote opinion, please Author: qnana PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:59 pm
    ----
Oh, I hate to waste your time. I am thankful you looked even once. This is not my only brickwall so I'll put it on the back burner for now!

Thank you very much for your time-qnana

#12: Re: footnote opinion, please Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:07 pm
    ----
Oh please, don't feel you are wasting my time. I never feel like my time is wasted when I'm trying to help someone find information on their family. I know how important it is. I'll still keep looking.

-> Resource Pages