Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Research question: backwards or forwards?
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Research question: backwards or forwards? Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:07 pm
    ----
So, the LDS microfilms of Paduli start in 1860. I discovered that my great grandfather was born in 1871 (I have the atto di nascita) and his father was born in 1830 (information from his son's atto, I don't have his though). Should I get 1830 from the LDS and start working forward or start at 1860 and work backwards? I guess my goal is to find brothers and sisters of my great grandfather and brothers and sisters of my great great grandfather. Unfortunately, that 10 year gap really stinks. If my great grandfather had 7 brothers, I hope some of them were at least 10 yrs. older than him or they won't be on film.

#2: Re: Research question: backwards or forwards? Author: Cathy PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:00 pm
    ----
I started with who I knew (my grandfather) and am working my way back. I would be careful in believing what the father's age is listed as the thier children's birth acts though. I have found many, many men who were the exact same age through the birth of 3 or more of their children or who even got younger with the birth of children! Nothing is absolute until you find their birth act.

#3: Re: Research question: backwards or forwards? Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:59 pm
    ----
Cathy wrote:
I started with who I knew (my grandfather) and am working my way back. I would be careful in believing what the father's age is listed as the thier children's birth acts though. I have found many, many men who were the exact same age through the birth of 3 or more of their children or who even got younger with the birth of children! Nothing is absolute until you find their birth act.

I find this to be true more often than not, as a matter of fact, I don't think I have ever seen the age of a parent correct on birth record.

Wonder why that is?

Confused

#4: Re: Research question: backwards or forwards? Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:53 pm
    ----
Wow! Thanks for that info., James and Cathy. Then it really does make sense to start with the most recent film that they have (1860) and hope that there are some siblings ten years older. Eleven can tell you, we hate that "gap" in the Paduli records!

#5: Re: Research question: backwards or forwards? Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:51 pm
    ----
I've just had a similar problem when I was at the FHC yestrday. I posted a question on the 'translation posts' it was all about 'dates' not tallying and Carol replied. When I replied to Carole this is what I said:
Quote::
I had a similar problem with the birth acts. when the son was born in 1831 his parents ages were Father- ventotto(28) mother- ventnova (29) but when the daughter was born in 1834 Father's age was quaranta (40) and mother's age quarantauna 41? Wonder if its meant to be 30 and 31?
Just how do you work out their ages? I'm trying to go back another generation but its difficult to know what film to order. at the moment I've got 7 films out on extended loan and waiting for another to come but I dont know how many you are allowed to get out on extended loan, I can only go on a Tuesday and 2 hours is not long in passing and there are no facilities for copying records at the FHC I go to and taking pictures with the digital camera really dont come out very good even with the flash switched off so I have to try to copy words I dont understand. But its still exciting when a name comes up you recognise! Very Happy

Emmy

#6: Re: Research question: backwards or forwards? Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:57 pm
    ----
If you don't have a printer on your machine at the LDS try to order a good copy through their microfilm printing service via mail:
www.familysearch.org/E...rofilm.ASP

Only $2 per document. Ok, I won't complain about a 15 yr. old printer if you don't even have one at your FHC!

#7: Re: Research question: backwards or forwards? Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:08 pm
    ----
Didnt know you could do that. Thanks for that link. I'll ask about it when I go next week. Are the photocopies of the films quite clear? Confused What I'm really asking is if I sent for photocopies and scan them into my computer would they come out OK?

#8: Re: Research question: backwards or forwards? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:15 pm
    ----
Age wasn't as important to Italians back then as it is now. No one really paid much attention to it. I have records for my great grandfather and none of them have the same birthdate on them as the others. Even his birth records have had to be amended..I guess it would depend on the person reporting the birth.

#9: Re: Research question: backwards or forwards? Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:18 pm
    ----
Hi, Emmy, yes the copies that I have received through the service have been pretty good. However, I should note that I have only ordered copies of American records from them.

#10: Re: Research question: backwards or forwards? Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:42 am
    ----
I always worked back, too.

Paduli is my mother in laws branch of the family. I had a lot of problems with that side..even getting usa records.

#11: Re: Research question: backwards or forwards? Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:20 pm
    ----
WOW!! Look at all the pretty color!!! COOL!!!

-> General Discussion Groups