Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: FORGOTTEN NEW YORK
-> Resource Pages

#1: FORGOTTEN NEW YORK Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:54 am
    ----
After I asked for help to locate the Enumeration District Number to try and locate where my Mom lived when in Little Italy - NYC, someone on another genealogy sent me this website to obtain information on Roosevelt Street in Lower Manhattan which was eliminated during a period of "Urban Renewal" in the 50s and 60s.....it is a wonderful resource for that along with many other things in NYC:

www.forgotten-ny.com/

#2: Re: FORGOTTEN NEW YORK Author: JoeBLocation: Chicago Area PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:09 am
    ----
Charlie,

Really enjoyed the Forgotten New York site. I live in Chicago but took a few shots of Coney Island while visiting New York. These were taken on Easter Sunday, 1990 for a school project (daughter is a teacher). The project's title was "Reading, everybody does it." These kind people probably have no clue that they are hanging in an English Professor's office at U of I Chicago. Coney Island at the time was completely closed except for a few restaurants. Thanks again for passing the web site on.

#3: Re: FORGOTTEN NEW YORK Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:09 am
    ----
Hi Joe,

I was there (Coney Island) one time when my wife and I went to visit my Army buddy ---- he took us there on an overcast Sunday morning (about 1970) ---- a cop came along and told us to leave because it was too dangerous for us to be there alone!!! I am not sure what the area is like now, but I can only imagine.......I have heard they are trying to preserve it and some of the old rides

-> Resource Pages