Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Letter to relatives in Italy
-> Translations

#1: Letter to relatives in Italy Author: rosanna PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:51 pm
    ----
I would like to write a letter in italian to all Luchi's and Cristina's in Trentino to explain who I am and about my italian ancestor and to enquire about their knowledge of their family ancestors to see if they are related to my great grandfather and his parents.
Would someone please help me compose a letter?

Many Thanks
Rosanna

#2: Re: Letter to relatives in Italy Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:58 pm
    ----
Rosana

Write the letter in English and someone will translate it for you. I think a good idea would be to enclose a pedigree or family group chart in your letter showing your relationship to your Italian relative and introduce yourself. Don't ask too many specific questions so you don't scare anyone. Just let them know who you are, where you live and basically just say "hello" (ok so that may a bit too vague but I think you get the point). Let them offer information. I am not sure if sending a self addressed, stamped return envelope would offend anyone (maybe one of our members from Italy could answer that one) but you do want to make it as inviting as possible for them to write back so keep it simple and keep it friendly.

Maybe some one can offer their thoughts as well?

Last edited by nuccia on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: Letter to relatives in Italy Author: rosanna PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:13 pm
    ----
Good ideas Nucccia. I will think about what to write and post it soon.

Rosanna

#4: Re: Letter to relatives in Italy Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:54 am
    ----
You may find a sample letter to possible relatives at: http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello_italy-letter.html

Amend it as appropriate and then post it here to get a final translation...

#5: Re: Letter to relatives in Italy Author: rosanna PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:34 pm
    ----
In the italian white pages for Trentino alto Adige there is only Di Cristina, no Cristina.Someone in my family once said the name' may' have been Di Cristina??
My concern is, how could I tackle this in a letter to Di Cristina relatives(hopefully)in the early stages of my communication with them or even if i should at all.Do you think I should call my g.grandfathers cognome Di Cristina.
Thanks for the link Livio.

-> Translations