Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: 2 professions: civile and forese
-> Translations

#1: 2 professions: civile and forese Author: DonnaPellegrin PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:17 pm
    ----
Hi, I was wondering if I could get a little help in understanding two professions that I have come across in my Caccuri research.

The first is civile. I have looked this up in two sources that describe the profession as a non-noble land owner. I am wondering if the word was used to describe anything else. I have seen this profession listed on a Caccuri record for a woman whose husband was a shoe-maker. I have also seen this profession listed for a woman whose husband was a contadino. My great-great-great grandfather was a contadino but his sister is listed on one document from 1815 as a civile and another document in 1823 as a contadina. I find this very confusing. Does anyone know more about the word civile? Must it always imply land ownership?

Also, I have seen a profession that I believe might be spelled forese. I have no idea what this is. I have seen it for both women and men. I can't seem to find a definition for it anywhere. Perhaps I am reading it wrong. Any ideas on forese?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Donna

#2: Re: 2 professions: civile and forese Author: DonnaPellegrin PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:34 pm
    ----
Have I stumped the forum? Shocked

#3: Re: 2 professions: civile and forese Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:28 am
    ----
I've also seen "civile" which literally means civilian...
As for "forese" it should be equivalent of "contadino"

#4: Re: 2 professions: civile and forese Author: DonnaPellegrin PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:44 pm
    ----
Thank you, Livio, your dictionary is much better than mine. So it sounds like a forése is like a farmer who lives somewhere outside the walled citadella. Makes sense.

Donna

-> Translations