Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Changing the first name
-> Where do I begin?

#1: Changing the first name Author: nycgreg PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:04 pm
    ----
My great grandfather was born Giuseppe Marciano but he changed it to Joseph Marciano when he came to the U.S. I am going to apply in NYC for dual citizenship, so I was wondering am I going to have to change his name back to Giuseppe on all the documents that say Joseph on it? Thanks

#2: Re: Changing the first name Author: ricbruLocation: TRENTO - ITALIA PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:37 pm
    ----
Hello, italian law state that there must be not discrepancies, and since Joseph is Giuseppe in Italian, I'm sure the person in charge for your application will understand it is the same person. It can be prooved bye the names of his parents.
If the person in charge don't accept the "americanized name" I guess you need to start the process to make amendament on Joseph civil records of USA. I hope it helps, bye Riccardo

#3: Re: Changing the first name Author: nycgreg PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:44 pm
    ----
Thanks for the reply. I had just found out bt my mother that my grandfather (her father) was born Giuseppe but he didnt know till much later on in his life, so when he got married in Germany he married under the name Joseph. I can only assume this will be a problem. Does anybody kow if its possible to change his first name on German marriage certificate from 1946.

-> Where do I begin?