Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Help translating document
-> Translations

#76: Re: Help translating document Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:45 am
    ----
tjbrn wrote:
Thanks, Luca. Could that be Rosario and not Biagio?

I can't say, the link now doesn't work Confused

L.

#77: Re: Help translating document Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:00 am
    ----
The original image on my computer is much better, higher resolution for the photo. Here is the link again. I think the name is Rosario.

img8.imageshack.us/i/montes.jpg/

#78: Re: Help translating document Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:08 am
    ----
Yes, i think it could be Rosario.

L.

#79: Re: Help translating document Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:42 am
    ----
I have another of those hard to read handwritten birth announcements.

img176.imageshack.us/i...seppe.jpg/

#80: Re: Help translating document Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:58 pm
    ----
1821, March 12th
Antonino Giuseppe Salvatore, born March 11 at hour 13,00, baptized the same day, son of Antonino Profeta, 39, uomo di campagna (farmer), living in Belmonte,
and Filippa Ferraro, 34.
Witnesses: Gaspare Ferrotti, 25, farmer and Francesco Vianuto(?), 60, farmer.

L.

#81: Re: Help translating document Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:39 pm
    ----
Thanks, Luca, I should have studied that one more carefully Embarassed The mother's name in the following birth announcement has me puzzled. I have found two announcement for Maria by the same parents about 3 years apart. This is the latest one.

img17.imageshack.us/i/muzio.jpg/

#82: Re: Help translating document Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:22 pm
    ----
Maria, Carmela, Giuseppa born August 14th 1834 at 20.00, daughter of Pietro Musso, 32, midwife (evidently an error) and Rosa Sgroi, 28. Maria was baptized the following day.

L.

#83: Re: Help translating document Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:17 pm
    ----
Sgroi seems to be a rather unusual name. Any thoughts regarding its derivation?

#84: Re: Help translating document Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:39 pm
    ----
Scroll down this page (it's not very much, but...): www.cognomiitaliani.or...0017es.htm
This link is to see where and how much it's widespread www.gens.labo.net/it/c...enera.html (fill in with the surname you are looking for in the space "cognome" in the left part)

L.

#85: Re: Help translating document Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:37 pm
    ----
Another interesting find. This appears to be my grandfather's maternal great grandfather getting remarried. I have page 2 & 3 of the marriage document where Giorgio provides the death certificate of Dpmenica Benigno. This means more films to order and study. It also reveals another generation since Giorgio's father is the deceased Gaetano, or at least I think that is what it says.

img115.imageshack.us/i/img2012.jpg/

#86: Re: Help translating document Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:45 am
    ----
It could be Gaetano but also looks like Gastone as it seems to be ending with an "e". I had the same problem in trying to find out what was the name of one of my relatives. You can see what are the names of his children as he would have given his father's name to one of them.

So, Giorgio Mazzola, 50 years old, was son to the late Gaetano/Gastone and to the late Saveria Chinnici.

Ada

Last edited by uantiti on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total

#87: Re: Help translating document Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:02 am
    ----
I read Gaetano, the letter after the "t" is definitely an "a", and also the "e" of Gaetano is very similar to the "e" in Palermo.
The document clearly states Giorgio Mazzola is the widower of Domenica Benigno. Also the bride, Gerolama Salavino (?) is a widow, her previous husband was Ignazio Musco.

#88: Re: Help translating document Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:08 am
    ----
The "promessa" is dated 25 Apr 1852 and it looks as if the marriage took place the following day, 26 Apr. Is that correct? Gerolama's mother's name is very difficult to decipher--is she deceased as no age is listed for her? And I am guessing that Gerolama's age is listed as 36?

#89: Re: Help translating document Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:49 am
    ----
The promise was made 25 April 1852 at 11:00 pm (ventitre) and the marriage was clebrated the day after, 26, in the local Parish. You are correct, Gerolama is 36, her mother Cristina Lovaci(?) was deceased (della fu Cristina...)

#90: Re: Help translating document Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:26 am
    ----
Thanks, Livio. I found a birth announcement of another of Giorgio's children but ink has faded and the script is difficult to read.
img96.imageshack.us/im...azzola.jpg

-> Translations