Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Reply from Potenza on Military Records
-> Translations

#1: Reply from Potenza on Military Records Author: cresthaven2Location: Hudson Valley NY PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:25 pm
    ----
I just received a letter from the Comando Militare Esercito "Basilicata" (address Via Cicciotti, 32, 85100 Potenza) regarding my request for my grandfather's military records. Here is their reply which I hope somone can translate accurately for me - does it mean they are forwarding my request to the State Archieves in Potenza?:

RE: Ferdinand Laurito (Laurita), nato a Potenza il 08/02/1864
ARCHIVIO DI STATO
Via Nazzario Sauro, I
85100 Potenza

1. Si invia in allegato, per competenza e directta evasione, la richiesta del foglio matricolare relativa al militare in oggetto.
2. All'indirizzo per conoscenza si comunica che eventuali nuove richieste dovranno essere inoltrate all'Archivio di Stato, dove sono custoditi gli atti delle classi piu anziane.
Signed by the Il Comandante IN s.v.

Thank you,
Carol

#2: Re: Reply from Potenza on Military Records Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:33 am
    ----
Carol,

I moved this over to the translation board - hope you don't mind. I believe it says that you must now send your requests for the papers to the State Archives where the older papers are housed ??? I'm sure the others will give you a more precise translation though.

#3: Re: Reply from Potenza on Military Records Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:42 am
    ----
Hi,
Military Districts do not keep such old records, they are usually sent to the relevant Archivio di State (State Archives) pertaining to the province involved.
Here they are sending you copy of the letter they sent to the Archivio di Stato in Potenza where they turned your request asking them to provide you with your ancestor's military records. On point 2 they inform you that further requests must be sent to the Archivio di Stato where older records are housed.

Ada

#4: Reply from Potenza on Military Records Author: cresthaven2Location: Hudson Valley NY PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:04 am
    ----
Thank you so much for your reply - I was hoping that they would forward my request to the right place. After waiting several months and a few requests I was surprised to get this letter which was in a small envelop addressed to me but forward to the NYC Consulate which forwarded it on to me. Strange but at least it was nice to hear back from them.
Sincerely,
Carol

-> Translations