Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Where is Everyone?
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Where is Everyone? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:41 pm
    ----
Wow .. it's been pretty slow lately. I haven't seen too many people around - myself included.

The summer was very busy this year for me so I didn't get a lot of researching done but now that Fall is here I plan on pulling my socks up and getting back to it.

What's everyone been up too? Anything exciting or new?

#2: Re: Where is Everyone? Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:46 pm
    ----
Well, I've been keeping Luca rather busy with translations, Livio too. I anticipate a steady stream of documents if all of my films don't get backordered.

#3: Re: Where is Everyone? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:16 pm
    ----
I noticed there was alot of movement from you three on the translation board. I have quite a few documents to sort through and upload as well. Maybe I will do some of that later today .. just got back from work and I need to unwind.

#4: Re: Where is Everyone? Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:05 pm
    ----
I am occassionally popping in but have not done much genealogy work lately, so I more or less lurk Wink

#5: Re: Where is Everyone? Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:46 pm
    ----
I check in every day (except weekends usually).. It's a morning routine.

I don't post that much because (like Lori) I have put genealogy on the back burner for the time being.

Very Happy

#6: Re: Where is Everyone? Author: Cathy PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:54 pm
    ----
Present and accounted for! I check in also but do not always post.

#7: Re: Where is Everyone? Author: JoeBLocation: Chicago Area PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:14 pm
    ----
Check in every day. Nothing to post. Brick wall status currently...

#8: Re: Where is Everyone? Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:31 pm
    ----
Guilty too Embarassed Embarassed
I check in but I havent posted recently either. I'm back again at the FHC again looking up information for a friend.
I have also received a photograph of the inside of the Church where my grandparent's were married. That gave me a fantastic feeling just trying to imagine them standing there all those years ago.

I hope you are feeling better Nuccia and taking care of yourself.
Is Carole OK I havent heard from her for a while and I havent seen her posting either.

Emmy

#9: Re: Where is Everyone? Author: chanchisfea PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 pm
    ----
I check in every day...if there is nothing I can help anyone with, then I just lurk Wink

#10: Re: Where is Everyone? Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:13 pm
    ----
Me too.

#11: Re: Where is Everyone? Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:23 pm
    ----
This last couple of months have been, to say the least, somewhat chaotic. I am (almost) snowed under with translations for people, plus visitors from the UK over for holidays (I love that) and then my constant friend Arfur Itis is being a real pain these days, and lack of excercise is causing havoc with my weight problem...

Can't exactly wear a T shirt that says "I beat anorexia" can I????? Rolling Eyes

But I, like many of us, have not been posting much here lately for the simple reason that I think (but maybe I'm wrong) that Facebook has become the death knoll for many smaller forums like this.... I know of at least seven where members have de-camped to Facebook and now have little or no time to spend on the 'old sites' or to even send 'newsy' e-mails to their friends either.

OK - I know that we do have a sound base for "Gente" as we are a research site, and that does, and always will, suffer from fluctuations in traffic. But I find the biggest loss to be in the social interaction that we had in the general discussions that we had.

Personally (and I mean that) I find that sad... I don't like, or enjoy FB - with all it's 'pokes', virtual pets, gifts, Mafia games or whatever... I really can't see the point. It just seems to eliminate the need for the conviviality and warm social intercourse that has built up on many sites like this one over recent times.

But, having said that, I do still pop in two or three times a day to make sure things are ticking over as they should -and to step in and break up any fights that break out among you. It is still nice to hear everyone's news too... it's just that there seems to be an awful lot less of it nowadays!

Well, that's my two penn'th - for what it's worth..

#12: Re: Where is Everyone? Author: JoeBLocation: Chicago Area PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:27 pm
    ----
Need a translation here. A one liner...

We all love you Carole.

#13: Re: Where is Everyone? Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:12 pm
    ----
JoeB wrote:
Need a translation here. A one liner...

We all love you Carole.

Aaaaaw - thank you Joe.

You're a sweetie!

#14: Re: Where is Everyone? Author: DaveFerroLocation: Auburn NY PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:23 am
    ----
Think about all of you often, even every day but haven't been able to check in much. Just go to the mail, answer them and want to get to sleep.

Read many books from the library about Italy, Phoenicia, Sicily and World War II for my uncle and another relative of someone who was in the same platoon as he was. The History Room at our local library has been a frequent place of visits.

A few more searches for friends and relatives, one with Sicilian roots and Syrian - the latter being a different challenge as the surname was changed somewhere along the line and he doesn't know what it was originally.

Relatives have been ill so we have been tending to them. There has been the garden (not good this year), yard work (got poison ivy while trimming), home fixing-up and my mother, almost 96, has more energy than I do.

But now, trying to get back to all the good people. Sure missed everyone.

I'll post about the books after setting them down properly.

Dave

#15: Re: Where is Everyone? Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:00 am
    ----
Hey - 'long time - no see'... Nice to see you back Dave.

I'm sure we will all look forward to your research updates... the Syrian one sounds as if it was a real challenge!

-> General Discussion Groups