Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Slides to Digital conversion systems...
-> PC Info and Guides

#1: Slides to Digital conversion systems... Author: JoeBLocation: Chicago Area PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:40 pm
    ----
I have a bunch of family slides, B&W and color, and I would like to convert them to digital images. Most sites that do this work charge between 50 cents and a buck per slide. I see there are several slide scanners on the market costing anywhere from about $100 up to $1000, however, the comments on the inexpensive units (which is all I can afford) aren't really all that convincing. One guy actually threw his $79.95 scanner in the trash after 6 months. So I'm wondering if any of our Genti members have had any experiences with slide scanners. Any suggestions will be welcome.

Joe B.

#2: Re: Slides to Digital conversion systems... Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:41 pm
    ----
I have an old Epson Stylus Photo RX500 printer scanner. The RX 500 can scan film and slides as well as photos, documents, etc. A couple of years ago I scanned several hundred slides my father-in-law had taken both here and abroad--just after WWII in France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland. I scanned the slides at the highest resolution possible for my scanner. The process was slow but not excruciatingly so--I could only scan 4 slides per scan. I have a couple of friends who recently bought a less expensive scanner that would also scan slides and they were pleased with the results they got.

I have several hundred ( maybe a 1000) of my own slides that I have to scan this winter. I think you can get an excellent flat bed scanner that will do slides for a couple of hundred bucks. That's the range I'd shoot for.

#3: Re: Slides to Digital conversion systems... Author: JoeBLocation: Chicago Area PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:39 pm
    ----
Thanks Tom. I appreciate your taking the time to write. Joe

-> PC Info and Guides