Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Gaetano Fiumara Marriage 1818 translation please.
-> Translations

#1: Gaetano Fiumara Marriage 1818 translation please. Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:54 am
    ----
I have this marriage which lists Gennaro as the father to Gaetano.

i460.photobucket.com/a...tomarr.jpg

Can someone translate?

lilbees

#2: Re: Gaetano Fiumara Marriage 1818 translation please. Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:00 pm
    ----
I'd offer my two cents but as you can see from past experience that's all it's worth and that's not much of a Christmas present Wink

#3: Re: Gaetano Fiumara Marriage 1818 translation please. Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:04 pm
    ----
It's not a marriage, but banns for a marrige that concern Gaetano Fiumara, age 21, living in the quarter or hamlet called "Mammana", son of the late Gennaro and Filippa Tizzano, job lupinaro
(lupinaro is probably a "venditore di olive" "olives sellers":
www.atalanews.it/giorn...sp?ID=1266
... Venditore di olive. Reggeva sulla testa, con ondeggiante equilibrismo, il mastello con le olive bianche, quelle delle specie più dolce.
Non possedeva bilance, per calcolare il prezzo adoperava un recipiente detto mesuriello.
I più noti provenivano da S. Anastasia. Gridavano “ Aulive ‘e Gaeta, teng’aulive pret’’e zuccaro “, “ Na lira ‘o quarto, ih, che bella aulive”, “ Acalàte ‘o panàro, porto aulive speciale pè signore belle”.
Con il passar del tempo, l’ambulante si munì di un carretto e allargò il ventaglio delle sue offerte.
Allora la sua figura si confuse con quella, aggiornata gradualmente, del lupinaro...)

and Celeste Scafasto, age 18, living in the quarter or hamlet called Supportico(?), younger daughter of the late Agnello and the living Maria Rosa Longobardo.

L.

#4: Re: Gaetano Fiumara Marriage 1818 translation please. Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:27 pm
    ----
Thank you Luca.

I had read it was the banns to marry but needed to find the marriage record. What you explained was very interesting. (and also funny)

I have 2 spellings for Celeste's last name, SCARFASTO and now SCAFASTO. Wonder which one is correct. Also, the marriage date in the index for marriages was given as 11 gennaio 1818. So, that is not the date of marriage just the promise or banns.
Correct?
lilbees

#5: Re: Gaetano Fiumara Marriage 1818 translation please. Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:54 am
    ----
The date of the first affixing at the municipality front door for these banns is January 4th 1818.

L.

#6: Re: Gaetano Fiumara Marriage 1818 translation please. Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:57 am
    ----
Thank you again Luca. Happy Holidays!

lilbees

-> Translations