Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Help translating Death Certificates
-> Translations

#1: Help translating Death Certificates Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:48 pm
    ----
I haven't yet mastered the handwriting style on the records from San Giuseppe Jato.

img94.imageshack.us/i/dc1n.jpg/

img696.imageshack.us/i/dc2p.jpg/

#2: Re: Help translating Death Certificates Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:06 am
    ----
img94.imageshack.us/i/dc1n.jpg/

This is an extract by the original, so the year is not 185.. like typed, but 1838 (the day December 21th).
Declarants: Vincenzo Amaurelli, 48, villico - Stefano Vascellaro(?), 48, contadino
Fact: ... nel giorno 21 del mese di sopra [Dicembre] anno corrente alle ore 13 รจ morta nella casa di Girolamo Licata la di lui moglie Caterina Provenzano, di anni 34, nata in San Giuseppe, domiciliata in san Giuseppe, figlia di mastro Antonino (morto) e di Francesca (morta)

Luca

#3: Re: Help translating Death Certificates Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:04 am
    ----
Thanks, Luca. I am curious about the word mastro; it could mean master but I'm not sure that helps to describe his position. Could the word also be maestro --for school teacher?

Caterina died just two weeks after giving birth to her son Calogero.

The second death certificate--Girolamo Licata--lists the names of his parents but they too are just about illegible.

#4: Re: Help translating Death Certificates Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:26 pm
    ----
Mastro is the title usually given to a craftsman.
Girolamo was son of the late mastro Vincenzo and Santa Vascellaro(?), husband of Caterina Provenzano (first marriage) and Aurora(?) Cincinnato (2nd marriage).

L.

#5: Re: Help translating Death Certificates Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:44 pm
    ----
What are some examples of the crafts that would have fallen into this category during this period?

On another note, were there any customs, guidelines governing when re-marrying after the death of a spouse was considered appropriate?

#6: Re: Help translating Death Certificates Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:46 pm
    ----
tjbrn wrote:
What are some examples of the crafts that would have fallen into this category during this period?
It's not easy to say because it can change from place to place, but i think all the jobs not concerning agricolture (f.e. bricklayers, carpenters, blacksmiths and so on).

On another note, were there any customs, guidelines governing when re-marrying after the death of a spouse was considered appropriate?
For men even the month following the death of the wife, for women depending on their situation (age, number of children, customs...), but i'm not expert in this scope(range?).

-> Translations