Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Landslides in Calabria and Sicily
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Landslides in Calabria and Sicily Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:10 am
    ----
Don't know if you are aware of what's happening in Calabria and in Sicily.
Heavy rains caused landslides in various villages in Vibo Valentia and Cosenza provinces, Calabria. Same thing in other villages in Messina province, Sicily. You can see here when one of the landslide started to move

Landslide

Ada

#2: Re: Landslides in Calabria and Sicily Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:16 am
    ----
Thank you for posting this Ada. I had not heard about this and I'm trying to contact my relatives now. I don't know if they were affected or not.

Can you please keep us updated throughout the day to let us know what is happening? Thanks so much.

#3: Re: Landslides in Calabria and Sicily Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:32 am
    ----
Just got a message from my cousin and she said that Maierato is the worst so far and my family is about 15 kilometers (9/10 miles) from there. She said the rains are very heavy and to pray they stop soon because right now it's very bad for everyone.

A note for Lori...........Maierato is very near Briatico also so I hope any family ou have there is safe.

#4: Re: Landslides in Calabria and Sicily Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:47 am
    ----
Yes, people from Maierato (2,300) were moved out of the town due to the dangerous situation. Many other towns are under control as the risk of landslides is very high and many roads do not exist any more. In Sicily the town of San Fratello, (Messina province) was abandoned by inhabitants as it is disappearing while sliding down.

Ada

#5: Re: Landslides in Calabria and Sicily Author: Cathy PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:08 pm
    ----
Thanks so much Ada. It seems to me this happened last spring in Cosenza Province too. Many roads were washed away.

#6: Re: Landslides in Calabria and Sicily Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:48 pm
    ----
I heard about this the other day but hadn't had a chance to actually read up or see any news on it. Thanks for posting the link Ada. Hope everyone's families are safe.

#7: Re: Landslides in Calabria and Sicily Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:52 pm
    ----
So so sad what is happening all over the world just now. I hope the weather will change and will help stop the situation from becoming worse for those poor people involved in those landslides.
My thoughts and prayers are with all those involved in this and my prayers are also with all of our members who have relatives living in those regions.

Emmy

#8: Re: Landslides in Calabria and Sicily Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:34 pm
    ----
Does anyone know where I can find more out about the landslides and the areas affected online (hopefully in English)? I saw this site but cannot tell when they posted that story. Regardless I wish to know more. Thanks.

#9: Re: Landslides in Calabria and Sicily Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:06 pm
    ----
The article bears a 5 Mar 2010 date; however, all of the searches I've done on the net yield dates in Feb, 2010 as the date the landslides occurred.

-> General Discussion Groups