Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Question about names in translation
-> Translations

#1: Question about names in translation Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:26 pm
    ----
In the following death certificate the surname Licate is clear. Note the name of the parents.

img411.imageshack.us/i...artasa.jpg

In this death certificate "la" appears before the surname Licata although both parents are the same.

img718.imageshack.us/i...mg3936.jpg

The father Girolamo is listed as dead in the above document but his is consistent with a death certificate I have for him dated in 1848; however, his wife Anna Bonnano is not listed on the death certificate although two other wives are.

Comments?

#2: Re: Question about names in translation Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:08 pm
    ----
Same parents and yes, it seems La Licata: mah!
Where did you note Girolamo listed as already dead?

L.

#3: Re: Question about names in translation Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:39 pm
    ----
Luca, in the second image, after Girolamo's profession. I thought the word was "morto"

Here is a death certificate with "la" Licata

img687.imageshack.us/i...ietrol.jpg

but the index to that record just lists Pietro Licata

img130.imageshack.us/i...aindex.jpg

It is a bit confusing Confused

#4: Re: Question about names in translation Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:10 pm
    ----
tjbrn wrote:
Luca, in the second image, after Girolamo's profession. I thought the word was "morto"
it could be "inetto"

tjbrn wrote:
Here is a death certificate with "la" Licata
In that period surnames could be not fixed at 100% and it's not unusual to find several forms for the same family. If all the rest coincides, you can be quite sure that he was the same person.

L.

#5: Re: Question about names in translation Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:02 pm
    ----
Luca,

This death certificate for Girolamo Licate appears to be dated in 1848

img51.imageshack.us/im...irolam.jpg

This is why assumed the word was "morto". It is also strange that Anna Bonanno, who I thought was the third wife, was not mentioned. Apparently Girolamo died at the house of his first wife's family--Caterina Provenzano. I am going to look at microfilm tomorrow and will recheck a few documents, but I have not been able to find marriage or death documents for any of the wives except Caterina Provenzano. As with many records I have been searching through, there are simply gaps in the records. Nothing to do but to live with the mystery Shocked

#6: Re: Question about names in translation Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:48 pm
    ----
And if there were two Girolamo Licata?

L.

-> Translations