Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Question about a possible Italian name on GF BC
-> Translations

#1: Question about a possible Italian name on GF BC Author: Tonio70 PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:08 pm
    ----
I am wondering if anyone can translate the possbile name of Celsio or Gelsio, sorry, hard to determine if first letter was C or G. I am curious because my GF birth certificate has Celsio or Gelsio Giovanni but his marriage and Death record have John Edmond which I know was his American name and possbile bapitsm name.

#2: Re: Question about a possible Italian name on GF BC Author: Cathy PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:31 am
    ----
Celso is a male Italian name. Comes from the Latin name CELSUS.
From another website :

Usage: Ancient Roman
Roman family name which meant "tall" in Latin. This was the name of a 2nd-century philosopher who wrote against Christianity. It was also borne by an early saint martyred with Nazarius in Milan.

#3: Re: Question about a possible Italian name on GF BC Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:08 pm
    ----
Celso is an Italian name and Celsio is a less frequent variant. Not very common and used in Northern Italy. There is also a feminine: Celsa. There isn't an English version. All of them are old names nearly disappeared.

Ada

#4: Re: Question about a possible Italian name on GF BC Author: Tonio70 PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:56 pm
    ----
Much Thanks to all. I had trouble finding any origin of the name.

-> Translations