Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Need help with a profession
-> Translations

#1: Need help with a profession Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:07 pm
    ----
I have found several people with this profession but I am not positive on it's translation. It may be local dialect, I am not sure. It appears to be spelled CALZOLASO. The Z may be a S. The closest I can come up with is
Calzolaio which is a shoemaker or cobbler. Do you think they are the same? I want to be accurate.
Thanks.

#2: Re: Need help with a profession Author: gogangaLocation: North Italy PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:21 pm
    ----
Yes, they are the same, because it doesn't exist another word like that.

Wink

#3: Re: Need help with a profession Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:44 pm
    ----
Yes it is almost certainly a shoemaker/cobbler. The word was probably written with the Italian 'i lungha' (long 'i') which is the equivalent of our 'j' and does often look like a long hand 'y' OR 'z'!

A good example is
>HERE<
in a letter from Casanova - look at his "s's" - everyone could be a 'j' or a 'z'!

#4: Re: Need help with a profession Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:58 pm
    ----
Thank you so much! Very Happy

#5: Re: Need help with a profession Author: Balboa PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:01 pm
    ----
Cathy wrote:
I have found several people with this profession but I am not positive on it's translation. It may be local dialect, I am not sure. It appears to be spelled CALZOLASO. The Z may be a S. The closest I can come up with is
Calzolaio which is a shoemaker or cobbler. Do you think they are the same? I want to be accurate.
Thanks.

the correct word is "calzolaio" and it mean shoemaker/ shoe repairer.

ciao ciao

#6: Re: Need help with a profession Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:28 pm
    ----
Hi Balboa..

Its so nice to have you here! We haven't spoken in so long and I'm so happy to hear from you again.

I know you're going to like it here! kiss

-> Translations