Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Puzzling Record need some translation
-> Translations

#1: Puzzling Record need some translation Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:29 am
    ----
I finally received my great grandfather's birth record. No wonder they haven't been able to find it. The Rescigno surname does not appear in it. It is a good thing I had the church information with the date of birth.

Father: Giovanni Rescigno
Mother: Maria Angrisano

i460.photobucket.com/a...cord-1.jpg

i460.photobucket.com/a...ord184.jpg

Now I am wondering if that is why they have not been able to find his brothers birth records.

Could someone translate? I would like any and all names that appear on the document with title if possible.

Thank you for your assistance.

lilbees

#2: Re: Puzzling Record need some translation Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:39 am
    ----
Actually this is a birth record for a child whose name is Antonio Angrisano, you can see it on the right side of the act referring to the baptism.

Page 1

Act # 50
June 24, 1843 at 1.00 pm.
Antonio Correale, mayor of Roccapiemonte, district of Salerno, province of Principato Citeriore.
The declarant is Luisa Ciancio, midwife, 42 years old resident in said town, she shows a baby boy and declares he was born by Maria Angrisano, 32 years, living with her husband and Giovanni Angrisano, 32 years, profession: carpenter/wood worker,
on June 22nd, year as above, in her (Maria's) own house at 1 o'clock in the evening.
She (the midwife) also declares that

Page 2

the baby was given the name: Antonio.

Witnesses are:
Francesco Fiore, 42 years, profession: land/property owner, and Luigi Galotto, 50 years, profession: farmer/countryman, both resident in town.

The act is signed only by the mayor and the first witness as the secon one and the midwife could not read/write.

The right side of the document states that the baby was baptized on June 24 by the priest in San Giovanni Battista (Church).

If you are sure that this is Antonio Rescigno then I guess the mistake is probably due to the fact that the midwife gave the mother's name and the mayor (who I guess was tired and hungry (1.00pm)) didn't pay much attention and wrote the same surname for the father too. The only witness who could read and write had the same problem as the mayor. I believe this kind of things could happen as people make mistakes. Usually they correct officially this kind of things by placing a stamp were they state that the correct surname is another one.

Ada

#3: Re: Puzzling Record need some translation Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:16 pm
    ----
Thank you Ada. The name is the same as what I saw. When I originally made the request for the birth record I enclosed the baptismal record and the extract that the comune issued with the registry number. Everything ties now.

Would the correction that even be possible today?

lilbees

#4: Re: Puzzling Record need some translation Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:05 am
    ----
lilbees wrote:

Would the correction that even be possible today?

lilbees

I don't know. Your document is 167 years old and I doubt this will be possible.

While searching in my maternal grandparents town's acts, I saw a few mistakes and corrections but corrections were made few years later by the Town Hall officer who had to issue, in some cases, a new act. I also found mistakes without any correction.
I guess your document comes from the State Archive and people there do not make changes on documents stored, they are not authorized to.

Ada

#5: Re: Puzzling Record need some translation Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:11 am
    ----
Thanks Ada. Oh well, just a thought. I hope they have luck with the other brothers now that they found all my correspondence making the original requests. The Salerno Archives has been really great at helping me out on a lot of things. Looks like a couple of women I corresponded with have now been promoted.

Anyway, thank you again.

#6: Re: Puzzling Record need some translation Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:58 am
    ----
Welcome Wink

A.

-> Translations