Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Carrabetta/Carabetta research
-> Where do I begin?

#1: Carrabetta/Carabetta research Author: RalphC PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:00 am
    ----
Traveling to Calabria in June and would love to solve a family mystery. My Grandfather came to the US on July 18, 1907 aboard the ship Konigin Luise. The ship manifest lists his name as "Domenico Carrabetta" and his last place of residence as "Caltanova," BUT, the age and birthdate are accurate, AND the entry line of name/residence of nearest relative lists "Vincenzo Carabetta" (My great grandfather's name - spelled with one R), and "Cittanova" (I've never found a Caltanova, IT) which is also accurate. So, we have always assumed the transcription in the manifest was in error. Having said all this, I'd like to know how to research the "Carabetta's" of Cittanova to confirm what we suspect.
I also know my grandfather had 2 brothers (Antonino and Arcangelo), and 4 sisters (Francesca, Rosa, Providence, and ??), and that his mother's maiden name (my great grandmother) was "Teresa Giovanazzi."
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

#2: Re: Carrabetta/Carabetta research Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:38 am
    ----
Hi Ralph and welcome to Gente! I looked at the manifest and the town is definately Cittanova. The person that was transcribing the records to put on line mispelled it as "Caltanova". It states the person Domenico is leaving is Vincenzo, also in Cittanova and he is going to his brother Antonino and it looks like Antonino is in Bayone (Bayonne) NJ.

Did you want to research your grandfather prior to leaving for Italy or to research once you get there? The films for Cittanova, RC range from 1809 through 1865 so your grandfathers birth act would not be on the films (he was born 1890 I believe). You may want to write a letter requesting his complete birth act which you may or may not receive before you leave or you might want to write a letter and explain that you will be there in June and would like to search for your families records (or ask for permission to search).....include the day, month and year of birth for your grandfather.

To request your grandfathers birth act you can use this form letter (all requests must be in Italian) www.circolocalabrese.o...civile.asp I also suggest after you compose the letter to post it on the translation board to make sure it's accurate and let the translators know you want a complete birth act that includes parents names etc.

If you want to let the Stato Civile office know you'll be there in June and would like permission to view their records compose your request in English and post it to the translation board to be converted to Italian. You may also want to ask for suggestions, when you post it, on how to word or if you have it appropriately worded for a proper request.

I hope this helps. If you need more help please post back.

#3: Re: Carrabetta/Carabetta research Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:51 am
    ----
In Cittanova there are 5 families with surname Carrabetta (double R) and non with one R only. See the Italian White Pages (in English) for their addresses and phone number

#4: Re: Carrabetta/Carabetta research Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:41 pm
    ----
Carrabetta is a common surname in the Cittanova area of Calabria, as is Giovanazzi. As a matter of fact, my aunt married a Carrabetta (she was from Locri which is about a 1/2 hour from Cittanova).
Is your Domenico's WW1 Draft Registration Card Info.?

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Domenico Carrabetta
Name: Domenico Carrabetta
City: Jersey City
County: Hudson
State: New Jersey
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 28 Aug 1890
Race: Caucasian (White)
FHL Roll Number: 1712213
DraftBoard: 10

There is a wonderful website all about Cittanova - I've linked the English version below and there is even a facebook group called Cittanovesi di Cittanova that you might want to check out. Also, member choprjohn is researching Cittanova. He did write to the Comune to request his ancestors vital records but I'm not sure if he hearch back or not. You may want to contact him to see if he's had any luck.

www.cittanovaonline.it/storia_e.htm

#5: Re: Carrabetta/Carabetta research Author: RalphC PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:02 pm
    ----
Wow! Thank you all very much. (Grazie mille a tutti voi!) This is great info.
Nuccia, that is certainly my Grandfather. I had no idea - nor did I ever think about - him registering for the WW1 draft. He met my Grandmother, Elena Palmerini, in Jersey City. She came from somewhere in Abruzzi

-> Where do I begin?