Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Questions regarding birth and death records
-> Translations

#1: Questions regarding birth and death records Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:41 am
    ----
It appears as if this child on the following birth certificate was born

img695.imageshack.us/i...aloger.jpg

after his father died

img691.imageshack.us/i...aloger.jpg

and the child died subsequently at age 1 year 9 months

img228.imageshack.us/i...aloger.jpg

I thought that the child's birth certificate had a reference in it which stated that the mother, Maria Lo Vecchio was the widow of Calogero Licata.

I'd appreciate the aid of the eyes of the experts Confused

#2: Re: Questions regarding birth and death records Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:06 am
    ----
All what you said it's correct. In the birth certificate for Calogero Licata, the midwife declares the birth as it's said at the bottom that the husband was dead. Although quite blurry, you will see after the name of the mother:

Lo Vecchio Maria d'anni quaranta, villica, qui domiciliata vedova di Licata Calogero giĆ  contadino

I'm not sure of the word "villica" but I think tyou are more intersted on the rest of the sentence.

Is this what you where looking for?

Ada

#3: Re: Questions regarding birth and death records Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:37 am
    ----
Thanks, Ada for confirming my reading of the certificates. The word "Villico" is from French, or so I've read, and is generally translated as peasant or peasant farmer, or something on that order. It seems as that "contadino" and "villico" are used interchangeably.

#4: Re: Questions regarding birth and death records Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:31 pm
    ----
Actually, the word "villico" is Italian and comes from Latin "vi(l)licu(m)" which on its turn comes from "villa(m)" standing for village, town. The word "villico" is old Italian and used very seldom. It has the same meaning of "contadino". Very Happy

Ada

#5: Re: Questions regarding birth and death records Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:09 pm
    ----
Ada, the source that I mentioned--can't find it now--used the term Villein, which it claimed was from the Middle French with the meaning of serf. The source extended this comparison to the term Villico. In any case the sense of the meaning is comparable.

-> Translations