Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Help Locating Records
-> Translations

#1: Help Locating Records Author: APM1379 PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:13 pm
    ----
I am planning a trip, this fall, to Italy. My Paternal grandparents were from Sersale Italy in the Cantanzaro region of Calabria. My maternal Grandfather was born in San Fili Italy in the Cosenza region of Calabria.

I plan a trip to at least San Fili. What would the best way when I arrive to look for any records and to ultimately find, I hope, family members that may still live there.

Any input would be appreciated.

T

#2: Re: Help Locating Records Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:05 am
    ----

before you go:

To find where your surname is prevalent:

gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/

To find your relatives in your ancestral towns (white pages):

1254.virgilio.it/

Write to the people who think might be related.....include an email address for their response plus a telephone number and address.

When you are in Italy:

When visiting your ancestral towns, go to the Town Hall (Il Municipio) to the Ufficio di Stato Civile or the Ufficio Anagrafe. You should be well prepared with as much info on your ancestors as possible (names, dates or at least estimated dates) and then make your requests for Extracts or copies of Atto di Nascita (Birth) and Atto di Matrimonio.

Keep in mind that in many towns, the records are not automated and they still look up the docs in dusty old books. If you find some relatives they will be able to help with this. If you have old family photos bring copies of them along to show your relatives, they may remember them or help you find someone who does.

I hope this gets you started.

You can also rent microfilm at the Family History Center (Church of Latter Days Saints) for your town(s). Some members of this group have also transcribed some of the films you may need and have posted them online as well which will make things very easy for you if you are looking for the towns they have recorded.

www.familysearch.org/E...search.asp

-> Translations