Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Help with Latin translation
-> Translations

#1: Help with Latin translation Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:19 am
    ----
img12.imageshack.us/im...g5244a.jpg

Curious about the child's name in the document above especially the section that lists the name "Giuseppe =" and then some additional names. I have other documents which use the name Giorgio, the last name in the series I've mentioned. How was the official given name determined? Apparently the order in which the names are listed is arbitrary.

#2: Re: Help with Latin translation Author: gillaf1 PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:57 am
    ----
The last time I needed Latin translated I contacted one of the Latin teachers at my local high school. When I mentioned this to our Parish Priest he was insulted and said he would be glad to help me in the future.

#3: Re: Help with Latin translation Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:51 am
    ----
Actually, the translators here at Gente are gracious enough to share their expertise in both language and handwriting styles so that translations are more pertinent to the documents in questions. I have learned enough from Luca, Carole, Livio, and others over the past few years to be able to get the gist of documents in Latin and Italian; however, I rely upon their discerning eyes with regard to the fine points and historical and cultural contexts of the texts in question.

-> Translations