Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: New Member Researching CIPOLLINI and BARNI in Tuscany
-> About Us

#1: New Member Researching CIPOLLINI and BARNI in Tuscany Author: Quill325 PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:23 pm
    ----
Hello, Everyone!
My name is Michele Eleanor Cipollini Almeida. I have been researching my paternal British family history since March 2001 and my maternal French Canadian family history for the past couple of years. I started researching my Italian ancestry about one year ago.
Here is my Italian family history so far...
My paternal great-grandfather Gesue CIPOLLINI (Cessue on his gravestone) was born in 1841 in Lamporecchio, Pistoia, Tuscany, Italy.
My paternal great-grandmother Faustina BARNI was born 1850/52 (depending on which record to believe) in Montevettolini, Pistoia, Tuscany, Italy.
They had 6 children: twins Armando & Eugenia, born August 15, 1876 (family story claims there were triplets not twins, a brother went to live in Brazil); Alduina born in 1881; Giusto born March 8, 1885 in St. Theresa, Lucca, Tuscany; Guido born October 2, 1888 in Lucca, Tuscany; and my grandfather, Casimiro, born August 24, 1893 in Monsummano Terme, Pistoia, Tuscany.
Some of the children immigrated to the USA (Fall River, Massachusetts) via Ellis Island before their parents: Giusto in 1906; Armando in 1907; Guido in 1910; Casimiro and Alduina in 1911 whose last residence was Porcari, Lucca, Tuscany, Italy.
On June 16, 1913, aboard the S.S.Venezia, my great-grandparents Gesue and Faustina, along with their daughter Eugenia and another relative (whose info I can't read) arrived at the Port of Providence, RI. On the ship's manifest, Capannori, Lucca, Tuscany was recorded as their last residence in Italy and that the closest relative in Italy was a brother, Raffaele CIPOLLINI of Capannori.

Gesue was 72y, suffering from curvature of the spine and senility when he arrived here. He evidently died before the 1920 US census since Faustina was listed as a widow then. Faustina died on September 11, 1936 in Fall River, MA. On her death cert, Faustina's father is recorded as Michael BARNI. Their son, my grandfather Casimiro Cipollini, Sr. died on December 27, 1950. Unfortunately, I never met him.

I found an interesting piece of family info in the book "Leading Americans of Italian Descent in Massachusetts" - Gesue was in the royal guard in Italy and fought under Garibaldi at Solferino.

Another intriguing tidbit...in the hamlet of Monvettolini where my great-grandmother Faustina was born, is the Via dei Barni. I wonder "what came first"...a family named BARNI after the street or a street named after the BARNI family. And...The Medici family had a villa in Montevettolini since it was a favorite hunting area of the family. I wonder if my BARNI ancestors had any connections to the Medicis. Would that be why there is a Via dei Barni? I must admit that would be "something" to be connected to such an historic family.

I have some pictures of my family when they were living here in the US.

I hope to connect with other CIPOLLINI and BARNI researchers through this wonderful group! Perhaps to find some relatives/descendants. I look forward to helping other members if I am able!

Regards,
Michele

#2: Re: New Member Researching CIPOLLINI and BARNI in Tuscany Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:12 am
    ----
HI Michele..

Welcome to Gente. Sorry I am late in responding but we have been tied up here with Carole's passing. I hope we can help you with your research - we will try our best.

#3: Re: New Member Researching CIPOLLINI and BARNI in Tuscany Author: Quill325 PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:07 pm
    ----
Thank you, Nuccia! I am very happy to be a part of the group. I look forward to comments, questions, help regarding my research and to helping other members with their research.

My condolences to Carole's family and friends. In going through all the postings, I saw what an important, kind and helpful member Carole was.

Warm Regards,
Michele
Fall River, Masssachusetts

#4: Re: New Member Researching CIPOLLINI and BARNI in Tuscany Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:25 pm
    ----
Thanks Michele. We will miss her very much.

Have you looked at the Data Banks list of immigrants to Brazil? I have found several BARNI from Pistoias heading that way but so far not one Cipollini.

However there were several Cipollini's that traveled to Argentina which you might want to look over.

#5: Re: New Member Researching CIPOLLINI and BARNI in Tuscany Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:27 pm
    ----
There also are several great links here:

www.apellidositalianos.com.ar/

#6: Re: New Member Researching CIPOLLINI and BARNI in Tuscany Author: Quill325 PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:08 am
    ----
Hi, Nuccia~
Thank you for the info about BARNIs in Brazil! I hadn't thought of checking there! I will check on the CIPOLLINIs who went to Argentina. There is a family story that Armando and Eugenia's triplet went to South America! Maybe I will find him!
Thanks also for the link - I will check those out as well!
My sister heads to Tuscany next week for a week in the area where our great-grandparents and grandfather were born, before going on a Mediterranean cruise. She will be "armed" with some family data and pictures. I found one BARNI living in Montevettolini where our Great-grandmother Faustina BARNI was born! Maybe my sister will meet this man!
Thanks so much again for your interest and help.
Michele

-> About Us