Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: U S Citizenship
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: U S Citizenship Author: choprjohnLocation: Florida PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:11 pm
    ----
Hi all: I saw on another site that Italian men could become American citizens just by enlisting in the U S military for WW1. Is there any truth to this, I have never heard this before. If this is true it might be the reason I havent been able to track down my GF's naturalization. Thank you in advance...Johnnie

#2: Re: U S Citizenship Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:45 pm
    ----
From Footnote:

"Aliens serving in the US military did not gain citizenship through service
alone. The naturalization of soldiers was performed under certain provisions of nationality law facilitating the naturalization of members of the US armed forces. These provisions waived the Declaration of Intention requirement and waived or reduced the residency requirement. Thus many soldiers filed petitions and were naturalized the same day."

Biff

#3: Re: U S Citizenship Author: choprjohnLocation: Florida PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:58 pm
    ----
Whats that mean in English?....lol. Seriously thanx Biff

#4: Re: U S Citizenship Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:33 pm
    ----
Basically aliens who served were "fast tracked" for citizenship with the 5 year residency requirement waived. Most received their citizenship papers at the base where they were stationed and/or mustered out rather than their home civil jurisdiction.

Biff

#5: Re: U S Citizenship Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:32 am
    ----

My Great Grandfather Aloisio Minisci became a US Citizen in 1893 in Livingston County, NY......my Grandfather, who was 13 at the time was still living in Italy......would he have automatically have become a citizen as well? Does anyone know??

Thanks.

#6: Re: U S Citizenship Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:24 am
    ----
I *believe* he would have if his Dad applied for him as well. Usually if the husband became a citizen so did the wife and children - at least that's what I noticed in the earlier years. Later I noticed the woman applied themselves.

Hopefully some one can confirm this.

-> General Discussion Groups