Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Scaliddi: attn Nuccia
-> Recipes

#1: Scaliddi: attn Nuccia Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:47 pm
    ----
Nuccia, I saw in an old gente post that you had a recipe for Scaliddi (Calabrian cookies that look like ladders). Can you post the recipe when you get a chance? Maybe I will be inspired for Christmas.

#2: Re: Scaliddi: attn Nuccia Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:53 pm
    ----
I found this on the internet. If anyone knows of a better one, let me know: cucina.grandinetti.org...es/scalili

#3: Re: Scaliddi: attn Nuccia Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:05 pm
    ----
Here is another (Italian language): www.foodblog.it/2010/0...calabresi/

#4: Re: Scaliddi: attn Nuccia Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:23 pm
    ----
I'm going to ask my mother for it again and will post it. When will you be making them? I think my sister and I are going to bake during the week (there goes the rest of my diet) lol

#5: Re: Scaliddi: attn Nuccia Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:58 pm
    ----
I won't have time to do it until the week end. Hopefully it will not be a disaster in the making!

#6: Re: Scaliddi: attn Nuccia Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:20 am
    ----
Ok so I finally went to my mother's and got the recipe for you. This was my Grandmother Caterina Fuda's recipe and she taught my mom how to make these over 50 years ago. We made them on the weekend and they taste better each year..lol

Code::
8 uova                              8 eggs
3 onze di olio                     3 oz. oil
10 once di zucchero           10 oz. sugar
2 bustine di lievito              2 pkg of yeast
farina quando ne prende     flour as needed
8 onze di latte caldo            8 oz warm milk
Oil for frying
Honey 
Candy Sprinkles

Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk with a tsp of sugar and allow it to activate until creamy.  Make a well with flour and add in all the other ingredients. Work well and add flour as needed until it forms a stiff dough. 

Cut dough in strips and roll out.

Form ladders. (My mom uses the end of a wooden spoon). She wraps the dough around it a few times, then forms a circle and slides them off. She uses a bit of egg to pinch the ends closed and puts them on clean towels (lint free) to rise.

Allow to rise two or more hours. (My grandmother actually used to let them rise overnight but my mother says she doesn't have the time for that anymore).

Fry them in hot oil until light golden brown. Remove from oil and put on a plate. *

*Note: You could eat them just like this if you wanted.

Melt honey with a bit of water in a large pan until it foams. This helps from burning the honey and lets the honey stick better. Coat the cookies in the honey using a large wooden spoon , remove, place on large plate and sprinkle with candies

You can vary the recipe by adding some lemon zest or liquor(Vermouth) to it as well. Do not keep them in an airtight container or all the honey will drip off. Instead keep them on a large serving plate

#7: Re: Scaliddi: attn Nuccia Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:03 pm
    ----
Thanks sooo much! You know what I will be doing in the next day or two!

#8: Re: Scaliddi: attn Nuccia Author: jayjay PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:10 pm
    ----
Thanks Geez I so miss this holiday treat< my Grand mother made them TONS of them for the family, friends even the post man . When she passed away my mom took over that tradition ( My dad was so happy she did) Since they are both gone now I think I may give them a try

Wish me luck

PS I am a newbe on this site its such a great place thanks!!!!

jay

#9: Re: Scaliddi: attn Nuccia Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:20 pm
    ----
Hi Jay! Welcome! I'm glad you like the site and hope you will visit often. Definitely give these a try and tell me what you think. I think it important to keep our parents traditions alive - if not for ourselves then for the next generation.

Enjoy and Happy Holidays!

#10: Re: Scaliddi: attn Nuccia Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:03 am
    ----
I went nuts last night, trying to find a picture of these things. I have never heard of them. I found the pix and am still not familiar with them. They look good tho..hey, anything covered in honey..is good..lol

#11: Re: Scaliddi: attn Nuccia Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:20 pm
    ----
I had these in Calabria as a breakfast treat without the honey but coated in granulated sugar.

-> Recipes