Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Raw pork pate??
-> Recipes

#1: Raw pork pate?? Author: Lafaso870 PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:26 am
    ----
I have been given a jar of what appears to be raw pork fat, mixed with garlic, chilli and other spices. I can’t remember what its called but it is a local delicacy, to be eaten spread on bruschetta.

It is delicious – if I switch off the part of my brain that is screaming RAW PORK FAT!

Does anyone know what it’s called? Has anyone else tried it? And is it really raw?

#2: Re: Raw pork pate?? Author: ItalysearcherLocation: Sora, Italy PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:17 am
    ----
It is probably the part of the fat from above the kidneys that the British use in cooking. Suet! It has a different texture than plain lard.

#3: Re: Raw pork pate?? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:15 am
    ----
I've never heard of this before. Ann, what kind food would this be used for? Baking or actually frying something? I'm curious now.

#4: Re: Raw pork pate?? Author: ItalysearcherLocation: Sora, Italy PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:27 am
    ----
Suet is used in place of butter in many old British recipes. The ones I am familiar are Jam roly poly
www.bbc.co.uk/food/rec...ypoly_8186
Or a steak pudding version www.bbc.co.uk/food/rec...uddi_92053

#5: Re: Raw pork pate?? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:58 am
    ----
These sound so good. Lately I seem to be on a cooking/baking spree. Winter does that to me.

-> Recipes