Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Is there a good resource for old city maps of Italy?
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Is there a good resource for old city maps of Italy? Author: JB5150Location: Florida PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:04 am
    ----
Hi Everyone,

I'd like to get my hands on an old map of Sicily, and more specifically one of Modica. Does anyone know of a good resource for such a thing?

My ggf was born on a street called San Francesco d'Assisi, which doesn't show up on current Google maps. I was able to find the place where my great grandmother was born using the Google street view--pretty cool!

I can't imagine that the streets have changed much over the years, but this street seems to have disappeared!

#2: Re: Is there a good resource for old city maps of Italy? Author: ItalysearcherLocation: Sora, Italy PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:02 am
    ----
Where I live they rename the streets every 10 years it seems. Sometimes the town archives have old copies of street maps but not always.

#3: Re: Is there a good resource for old city maps of Italy? Author: martyadelfio PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:50 am
    ----
It shows it listed on this map click on the red hand
en.comuni-italiani.it/...mappa.html

Marty A

#4: Re: Is there a good resource for old city maps of Italy? Author: JB5150Location: Florida PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:07 pm
    ----
When I search for that street name, it just takes me to the center of the town. Did I miss something?

#5: Re: Is there a good resource for old city maps of Italy? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:37 pm
    ----
Try this

maps.google.com/maps?f...10&iwloc=A

Put the street name in and you can see if it still exists or if filmed, see the actual street.

#6: Re: Is there a good resource for old city maps of Italy? Author: JB5150Location: Florida PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:59 pm
    ----
When I search on Google maps, it appears that there is no such street in Modica, which is why I thought an old map might be helpful.

-> General Discussion Groups