Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Illegitimate child - what's going on in this birth record?
-> Translations

#1: Illegitimate child - what's going on in this birth record? Author: JB5150Location: Florida PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:32 pm
    ----
Hi Everyone,

I just found this birth record for an illegitimate child of my great-great-grandfather, but I'm not sure I understand what it says in the notes section. Was she adopted into the family or what exactly happened here? Can someone help with a translation? Thanks in advance for any help with this one!

#2: Re: Illegitimate child - what's going on in this birth record? Author: martyadelfio PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:58 am
    ----
To me it looks the June 1875 father Giorgio Scarso age 30 profession farmer presented the baby at the birth female baby name Concetta Scarso no mother listed but side note says Giorgio Scarso and Rosa Franco got married Feb 1876 after the baby was born I dont see the word adottara on the record. I cant make out a couple of the words were the mothers name should be.

Marty

#3: Re: Illegitimate child - what's going on in this birth record? Author: JB5150Location: Florida PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:18 am
    ----
Hmm.....that's interesting. Especially since I have found two records of children born prior to this with no mention of them being illegitimate. In both of those cases, the mother's name is listed on the birth record and she is listed as "moglie." Could they have lied about that? If they lied about it, then why would they have reported this child as illegitimate?

#4: Re: Illegitimate child - what's going on in this birth record? Author: ItalysearcherLocation: Sora, Italy PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:54 pm
    ----
There was a time (I think around 1871-1875) when the State declared that it would not recognize marriage that took place in the church only. So its possible that the first two children were accepted as legitimate and this one, born after the declaration, was not. Once they registered their marriage civilly, the child was officially recognized as the daughter of Giorgio and Rosa. If you get their marriage certificate it will also be mentioned on that document. Note that they did not marry until 1886, probably when Concetta went to school and needed a birth certificate and they realized she was considered illegitimate.

#5: Re: Illegitimate child - what's going on in this birth record? Author: JB5150Location: Florida PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:55 pm
    ----
Hi Ann,
Thanks for sharing this information! I had no idea about that, but it would certainly make sense as to why the other children weren't declared illegitimate on their birth records.

-> Translations