Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Was that FHL service discontinued?
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Was that FHL service discontinued? Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:45 pm
    ----
A few years ago, someone posted about ordering records from the FHL. I dont know if I am explaining this right. I have certificate numbers. I believe there was a page from the FHL where you could order the records (paper copy, I think) for a small fee (something like 2 dollars each). I saved that link in two places on my computer, but it doesnt take me there. It takes me to the online searching place, instead. I am pretty sure I am using the correct link.

Does anyone know if this service was discontinued, or has a link for this service?

#2: Re: Was that FHL service discontinued? Author: gillaf1 PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:36 am
    ----
First Google search came up with this:

www.familysearch.org/e...ibrary.asp

From the site you will find ways to contact them.

#3: Re: Was that FHL service discontinued? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:02 am
    ----
Thanks Gil -I'm going to look there too since like eleven I have been having the same problem. I need to access that page as well.

#4: Re: Was that FHL service discontinued? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:11 am
    ----
I think this is the link..

www.familysearch.org/e...rofilm.ASP

Thanks Gil - I found it using that page. Smile

#5: Re: Was that FHL service discontinued? Author: gillaf1 PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:24 am
    ----
No problem. Very Happy

#6: Re: Was that FHL service discontinued? Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:23 am
    ----
I think thats the one, Nuccia. I always thought you did the ordering online, but I see its only an online form you need to mail in. Either way, it seems like a much cheaper route than ordering the docs from the archives in NY. Thanks.

#7: Re: Was that FHL service discontinued? Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:19 pm
    ----

I had used the service about 3-4 months ago trying to locate a Sicilian Birth Record for my Grandfather (my Mom's Stepfather) Calogero Prestia. I'm guessing they were using Microfilm for the lookup.....problem was it was most likely a "non-Italian" researcher and they sent me something for someone else named Calogero ?????

It was not even close.....thankfully I did finally hear back from Sciacca after writing to the Sindaco......they even sent a second doc for his brother too.

They should be OK with a record for NY., and they were pretty fast.

#8: Re: Was that FHL service discontinued? Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:51 pm
    ----
Ya know, I have always said, nobody searches like yourself.

When I began my genealogy, almost 20 years ago, I did about 5 Saturdays worth of research at the NYC public library. For each passenger list I was looking for there, I would send to the national archives for the same thing. Out of all of the people's names..I eventually found them all...they found one..lol

I am so wacky that I will search on the Morse site, using only initials. I am about to do that again, using a first name and a year.

I used to think that an Italian "searcher or indexer" would do a better job...until I began indexing records. Truth is, it doesnt matter what your nationality is. When you make these indexes, they want you to type what you see. I am Italian. I am familiar with old writing, both English and Italian. I KNEW the mistakes of the information "taker" and yet, they wanted you to type those mistakes, because they want to keep the integrity of the record. It doesnt matter to them, that you arent touching the record, and with correct spelling, people can find their person. And this is why, even if we search ourselves, the information we are seeking is very difficult to find, sometimes.

#9: Re: Was that FHL service discontinued? Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:12 pm
    ----
I used that service just about a month or two ago. As far as I know, it is always a mail in sort of service or you can fax in the form. It is a fillable pdf but I don't think there is a way to submit it online.

#10: Re: Was that FHL service discontinued? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:26 pm
    ----
You're right Lori - you can't email it. It must be mailed or faxed. But you can also call Salt Lake for free. I did that once for someone else.

#11: Re: Was that FHL service discontinued? Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:24 am
    ----
I never knew that. I was thinking that people did it online, when it was the form you needed to get online...then mail it. Thanks for all of the info.

-> General Discussion Groups