Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: 1650 marriage record?
-> Translations

#1: 1650 marriage record? Author: JB5150Location: Florida PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:17 pm
    ----
I'm back from my Italy trip and it was absolutely great as far as research goes--just wish I could have had more time with the records! Seems that there is a wedding nearly every day at the church there, so time for researchers is limited. In any event, I was able to go back another 100 years on my Barone line and now I have several more wonderful Latin records that I can barely read. (At least I can make out the names, which is the important part!)

I'm attaching a copy of the oldest one that I found on the Barone line which is from 1650. I think the name of the father here is Vincenzo, but I wasn't able to find him in a prior index, so it's either not Vincenzo or he was married somewhere else. (Vincenzo would make the most sense though, since the son of Pasquale is also Vincenzo).

Anyway, I know several of you are Latin experts, so I'd be grateful for your help interpreting this one. (I have a couple more, but those can wait...)

I should have a full report of my trip (including research in Palermo, Modica, severely delayed luggage and flat tires!) soon!

Best,
Jill

#2: Re: 1650 marriage record? Author: autumndivonaLocation: Plattsmouth, Nebraska PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:31 am
    ----
That is so exciting! Congratulations on the success of your trip, and I hope somebody can give you the translation you need. Smile

#3: Re: 1650 marriage record? Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:13 pm
    ----
Pasquale figlio di Vincenzo (not sure 100%, but it's the only name I can suppose) e della quondam Margarita jugales [=coniiugi] Di Barone con Giovanna figlia delli quondam Vincenzo e Elisabetta viventi ["viventi" is probably referred to Elisabetta] Di Ritundo jugales fatti prima li soliti banni [=pubblicazioni] cioè primo banno 12 di agosto domenica, 2° banno à 15 di detto [mese] Assunzione della Beata Vergine e terzo banno a 21 di detto ... impedimento alcuno sono con la nostra licenza interrogati e mutuo consenso da.... etc etc

#4: Re: 1650 marriage record? Author: JB5150Location: Florida PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:42 pm
    ----
Luca, thank you again for your help with this one! I owe you baked goods or something!! I also have a tax record that I will post later....that one should be a little more interesting!

One question-- since "quondam" translates as "formerly" am I correct to assume that person is deceased? In this case, it looks like Margarita (mother of the groom) and Vincenzo (father of the bride) are deceased and we aren't sure about Vincenzo (the father of the groom)?

#5: Re: 1650 marriage record? Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:44 pm
    ----
You are right, Vincenzo Ritundo and Margherita Barone are deceased at the time of the marriage.

L.

-> Translations