Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Ancestry.com, is there something less expensive out there?
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Ancestry.com, is there something less expensive out there? Author: JoeBLocation: Chicago Area PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:23 pm
    ----
I have used other sites in the past but I've forgotten what the heck they were. Any researchers out there that use something other than Ancestry? I don't mind paying but 35 bucks a month is a little steep. Interested in Northern Italy, Southern England and Lithuania. Thanks — JoeB

#2: Re: Ancestry.com, is there something less expensive out ther Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:55 pm
    ----

Nothing else come close to the number of records and images that ancestry.com has. I do think they offer collections which might be less expensive than that, but I'm not sure what info you are looking for. Individual sites may offer some data and the FHC continues to add new databases. Rootsweb, World Vital Records ($) and Footnote ($) are some alternatives (but no where near as comprehensive)

Many libraries also offer ancestry.com for their customers so you might want to check that out.

#3: Re: Ancestry.com, is there something less expensive out ther Author: JoeBLocation: Chicago Area PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:02 am
    ----
Thanks Charliemis, Sounds like it's 35 bucks a month if I want a real service. They do have an annual price that's more reasonable, but I don't use it all that much except in the winter months. Well you have answered my question. Thank you very much. Joe B.

#4: Re: Ancestry.com, is there something less expensive out there? Author: autumndivonaLocation: Plattsmouth, Nebraska PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:21 am
    ----
As FamilySearch adds more censuses and records, I find myself relying on their free images far more than requesting Ancestry look-ups. I also tend to utilize Google and Google books, because many of the books that Ancestry has digitized can be found on Google books. Smile

#5: Re: Ancestry.com, is there something less expensive out ther Author: JoeBLocation: Chicago Area PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:37 am
    ----
I'll give that a try autumndivona. I've heard of FamilySearch but not Google Books. Thanks, Joe B.

#6: Re: Ancestry.com, is there something less expensive out ther Author: Capo PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:38 am
    ----
For Births, Marriages and Deaths in England and Wales, i would definately recomend FreeBMD site!

#7: Re: Ancestry.com, is there something less expensive out there? Author: JoeBLocation: Chicago Area PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:40 am
    ----
Thanks Capo, England has been one of my stone walls. I'll give that a try... Joe B.

#8: Re: Ancestry.com, is there something less expensive out there? Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:11 am
    ----
It costs less to join ancestry for the year, but...most people dont need a year to find what they are looking for. I joined ancestry about 3-4 times, for from one month to three months. The 3 months is when they got my fathers Italian town records. One month was fine to get what I needed, but then I decided to copy the whole town.

If you know what you are looking for..usually a month is enough to get whatever it is you need. I would never pay them that kind of money for a year. Its not necessary.

#9: Re: Ancestry.com, is there something less expensive out there? Author: JoeBLocation: Chicago Area PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:19 am
    ----
Good advice Eleven. I think I'll do some homework, get my names and dates straight, then give it hell for one month. That ought to be worth the cost of admission.
Thanks, Joe B.

#10: Re: Ancestry.com, is there something less expensive out there? Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:59 pm
    ----
Its definitely worth it, if they have what you need. One of the times that I joined, I got all of my census records, over again. They had nice clean clear copies..and mine were crummy. I did that after getting what I went there for..and still needed just a month.

#11: Re: Ancestry.com, is there something less expensive out there? Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:01 pm
    ----
Oh..just make sure that you unsubscribe about a week before they are about to charge you again. You will still have it up until that date, that it turns over. If you wait too long, they will auto charge you for the next month.

#12: Re: Ancestry.com, is there something less expensive out there? Author: JoeBLocation: Chicago Area PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:03 pm
    ----
Good advice—Thanks again

-> General Discussion Groups