Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Need help with translation please
-> Translations

#1: Need help with translation please Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:35 pm
    ----
Not sure if this is in Latin but I'd be grateful for some help

Emmy

#2: Re: Need help with translation please Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:59 pm
    ----
It is Latin. I understand some of it but you need Luca to get a good translation. At the top is birth certificate of Luigi Nicola di Filippi. The date at the top appears to be 10 Sep 1791. Both the birth and baptism are indicated. The father's name is Juliano and the mother's name is Benedicta Vettese(?) The child's name is listed as Aloysius Nicolas (Nicola) and differs from the name listed at the top of the document. This is an extract of birth and baptism which was supplied by/for Luigi on 23 Mar 1835 for his marriage. Obviously I've left out a lot but I'm pretty rusty these days on translation. What is curious in the variation in the name of the child.

#3: Re: Need help with translation please Author: Cathy PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:17 am
    ----
Hi Emmy!! Matrina (Godmother) is Teadora Gagliardi. The names registered in the baptisms are in Latin. Aloysius is Latin for Luigi. Don't you just love processcetti?!! Very Happy

#4: Re: Need help with translation please Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:34 am
    ----
Tom you did a great job!
10 Sept 1791 is the baptism date, the baby was born the night before (nocte antecedente natum).
The priest who baptized Luigi Nicola is Ferdinando De Filippis (in Latin De Philippis), maybe a relative of the bayb's father Giuliano De Filippis.
The godmother's first name appears to be Teodosia.

#5: Re: Need help with translation please Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:35 am
    ----
Many thanks everyone.
and Yes Cathy Processettis are just wonderful but sometimes frustrating when I cant understand the information Embarassed Thank goodness for all my good friends who always come to the rescue Very Happy
My trip to Italy is proving to have been very worthwhile.
It means though I'm having to recheck some of my records and surprise surprise I'm finding I've had information that I didnt link up before - so exciting. One problem is although on some of the documents the month relating to the information matches the year doesnt - and is sometimes a good few years out! But the names and relationships seems to be 100 per cent. I'm going to try to post another document I was given from the commune when I was out there I'm just not sure what some of the columns represent. Maybe if I knew it would give me more to go on.
Thank you all once more I am very grateful for your help.
God Bless
Emmy

#6: Re: Need help with translation please Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:52 am
    ----
These 2 parts were actually one sheet but was too large to be scanned as one.
What puzzles me is on 1b the column on the right hand side? Is this giving the age of the person and the year they were born I notice 1900 is also printed just wondered if this was something like a census record?
the other thing I dont have the 'heading' for is the columns next to that one -- where there are a list of (1's) I first thought it could mean male/female but there are 1's in another column as well. Just wished I had studied it more closely when I was at the comune and asked more questions all I did know that the book/ledger it was taken from was VERY VERY old and falling apart at the seams.
Next to the name Palma Lombardi I dont understand the meaning of the word ( Nuora?)which describes her relationship to Flavio.
Hope I'm not asking too much from you all but I would be glad for any thoughts you may have about this document
Emmy

#7: Re: Need help with translation please Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:22 am
    ----
Let me start with the easy one. Nuora = daughter in law. The masculine form is Genero
Palma Lombardi should be the wife of Raffaele

#8: Re: Need help with translation please Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:30 am
    ----
The column on the right hand side is giving you the last 2 digits of the birth year, the first 2 digits are 18. The two columns before that are giving you the day and month.
Palma Lombardi was born June 26 1878.

I have no clue about all the other columns, in any case it looks like a Census (Church census?)

#9: Re: Need help with translation please Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:03 pm
    ----
Many thanks for that quick reply Livio makes a bit sense now--I've have found a Lombardi link on one of the films at the FHC today too. Its been a great day at the FHC found my GGGrandfathers marriage document too which has opened the door to lots of other information.
Guess if I keep going I'll need to think about another trip to Italy Wink
Very very grateful to you for all the help you give me.
God Bless
Emmyxx

-> Translations