Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Search for Aniello Miele from Napoli
-> Where do I begin?

#1: Search for Aniello Miele from Napoli Author: tkconsiglio PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:54 am
    ----
So I have begun research on my Italian roots, I'm hitting a brick wall, and was wondering if anyone had advice.

My great grandfather is Aniello Miele born in Napoli (not sure what town) I believe in 1902. He came to America (PA) near 1921. Apparently him and my great grandmother, Adelina Vetrano (who I was told is also from Napoli) came over when she was pregnant with her first child (who was born Nov 1921).

They had two more children then divorced. She took the kids, left PA and moved to MI and started a new family. We know he remarried and had more kids but we don't know if he stayed put or moved. I NEED his death certificate to get his naturalization papers, but have no clue how to find out where or when he died.

I found naturalization papers on fold3.com, an Aniello Miele who immigrated to PA in 1920 with a wife listed as Louise (spelling could be wrong). The time frame is so close and I'm thinking how many Aniello Miele's came to PA from Italy near 1921? Maybe my Aunts are wrong and they weren't pregnant when they came over. Maybe by the time he became naturalized (1926) he had divorced Adelina and remarried this woman named Louise.

Anyone have advice, input, or info?

I would greatly appreciate it, grazie mille!!

#2: Re: Search for Aniello Miele from Napoli Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:57 pm
    ----
1920 SHIP MANIFEST, line 15
Last residence and place of birth Piazza??
Nearest relative in Italy, wife Adele
Destination Liberty NY to join father Sabato (I'm betting that it should have been Liberty PA located near Pittsburgh)
Immigration markings in occupation column indicate naturalization papers in 1937 in Western PA
6=Pittsburgh INS office
55521=Application Number
Date=March 30 1937

Not sure what the 4-3586 indicates

Page 1
www.ellisisland.org/EI...;line=0015

Page 2
www.ellisisland.org/EI...;line=0015

****The naturalization record you found for Aniello Miele is NOT for your Aniello. Birth date, immigration date are incorrect.****

1921 Ship manifest for Adelina, line 26
Last residence and place of birth Roccarainola, province: Napoli - region: Campania
Nearest relative in Italy Father Vitagliano
Destination Pittsburgh to join husband Aniello Miele

Page 1
www.ellisisland.org/EI...;line=0026

Page 2
www.ellisisland.org/EI...;line=0026

Is this Aniello and Adelina's son?
Name:
Sam N. Miele
Birth: 19 Jan 1924
Death:
24 Mar 1995 - Lincoln Park, Wayne, Michigan

Biff

#3: Re: Search for Aniello Miele from Napoli Author: tkconsiglio PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:30 pm
    ----
Very Happy Thank you so much for all the information!!! Yes Sam is their 2nd child, 1st son (my uncle). Is "piazza" a mistake or typo for the city Aniello is from? I can't find a city called Piazza anywhere in Napoli.

#4: Re: Search for Aniello Miele from Napoli Author: Capo PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:57 am
    ----
Hello,

I believe Aniello was also born in Roccarainola, as i found a Sabato manifest and a Vetrano also travelling with.

Look at the surnames from there: www.avitrees.com/town_...n=Campania

Jamie Capaldi

-> Where do I begin?