Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Help with Reading Palermo Street / Neighborhood Name
-> Translations

#1: Help with Reading Palermo Street / Neighborhood Name Author: mpizzo PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:16 pm
    ----
Ciao a tutti--

I am new to this site and would greatly appreciate help with the deciphering the word written in the attached picture. It is from a Palermo birth certificate from 1878. The context is "nella casa posta in .... al numero ..."

I believe that the word should be the name of a street or neighborhood on the south side of Palermo, near Mezzomonreale, Molara, or la Rocca.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Matt Pizzo

#2: Re: Help with Reading Palermo Street / Neighborhood Name Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:20 pm
    ----
Benvenuto Matt

I think it would help if you could also post the rest of the birth certificate. That would help with a comparison of the writing and letters.

Biff

#3: Re: Help with Reading Palermo Street / Neighborhood Name Author: mpizzo PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:55 pm
    ----
The files are too large to post on this board. As such, here are links for two pages of the original and a copy of the modern estratto di nascita.

docs.google.com/open?i...QmhLanI5dw

docs.google.com/open?i...YmN6M01lZw

docs.google.com/open?i...a3YtTlUwQQ

--Matt

#4: Re: Help with Reading Palermo Street / Neighborhood Name Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:13 pm
    ----
Matt,

Just to let you know I'm still checking. I've been trying to locate something on a modern map of Palermo that resembles what's on the document. Hopefully, the street name hasn't changed since 1877!

Biff

#5: Re: Help with Reading Palermo Street / Neighborhood Name Author: mpizzo PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:39 pm
    ----
Biff--

What do you think that it says?

After staring at the phrase for a few more minutes, I have come to the realization that it might say "Ospedale Civico."

If so, then I must be an enormous cretino! Non puo essere che io sia cosi stupido.

--Matt

#6: Re: Help with Reading Palermo Street / Neighborhood Name Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:18 am
    ----
"Ospedale civico" is correct!

-> Translations