Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Donato/Monteleone Plati, reggio Calabria
-> Where do I begin?

#16: Re: Donato/Monteleone Plati, reggio Calabria Author: Donato PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:00 pm
    ----
Yes, I have seen that record on Ancestry, but not sure if it is the same Francesco. Next week I will begin viewing the microfilms to try and find what year Amelia remarried in Plati. It is possible that Francesco died young in Pennsylvania.

#17: Re: Donato/Monteleone Plati, reggio Calabria Author: Donato PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:00 pm
    ----
Thankyou for deciphering the birth record for me!!!

#18: Re: Donato/Monteleone Plati, reggio Calabria Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:54 am
    ----
In doing some further checking, I do not think that the Francesco Donato on the Sons of Italy record was your g grandfather based on this naturalization record where he states he was born in Maida, wife Teresa, children who were born beginning in 1892.

interactive.ancestry.c...sePUB=true

Biff

#19: Re: Donato/Monteleone Plati, reggio Calabria Author: Donato PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:57 pm
    ----
Thankyou Biff. You are right. Going to view the microfilms again this afternoon. There are Thousands to scroll through so it could take me quite a while......

#20: Re: Donato/Monteleone Plati, reggio Calabria Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:25 pm
    ----
If you need any help deciphering writing or have any other questions, just let me know.

Auguri,
Biff

#21: Re: Donato/Monteleone Plati, reggio Calabria Author: Donato PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:47 pm
    ----
In the town records for 1884 I found records for possible brothers and sisters of my ancestors but I cannot read any of them because the script is very fancy.
1883 and 1882 records are on their way from Italy.

Would you be willing to translate the records I found yesterday? Should I post them here?

#22: Re: Donato/Monteleone Plati, reggio Calabria Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:37 pm
    ----
Donato,

No problem. Just post the images of the birth acts on this thread and I'll give them a try.

Biff

#23: Re: Donato/Monteleone Plati, reggio Calabria Author: Donato PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:06 pm
    ----
How about this one?

#24: Re: Donato/Monteleone Plati, reggio Calabria Author: Donato PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:13 pm
    ----
And I think this is the same Elizabeth. {Had trouble fitting it all on the screen to save}

#25: Re: Donato/Monteleone Plati, reggio Calabria Author: Donato PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:15 pm
    ----
lwr half

#26: Re: Donato/Monteleone Plati, reggio Calabria Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:39 pm
    ----
Definitely two different Elisabettas.

The Elisabetta on the 27 August 1903 marriage document is 27 (ventisette) so she would have been born about 1876. Her parents are Giuseppe and the deceased (fu) Francesca Garreffa.

The birth record for the other Elisabetta Gliozzi states that in the year 1884 on the third (tre) of May (Maggio) at sometime (can't make out the time), before someone (I can't make out the name) in the town hall appeared Michele Gliozzi, 33 (trentatre), a farm laborer (bracciale) and he declared that at 11:20 AM (antemeridiane undeci e venti) on the first (looks like primo) of the current month (corrente mese) in a house at Via Canale?, 11, from someone (I can't make out the mother's name) was born a child of the feminine sex that he presented and gaved the name of Elisabetta.

Biff

Last edited by Biff83 on Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

#27: Re: Donato/Monteleone Plati, reggio Calabria Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:48 pm
    ----
Donato,

I'm not sure you are aware but each year for birth, death, and marriage records usually will have an alphabetical index at the end of that year's records. Next to each name will be a number indicating the act number (numero). This should help cut down on your scrolling.

Italian records are basically a fill in the blanks forms which the mayor or someone designated in the town hall completed. Once you get a feel for the three types of forms (birth, death, marriage) and have a decent source which will help you translate dates, years, times, numbers, and occupations, it starts to become easier to extract information. I find deciphering the handwriting to be the most challenging aspect, but again as time goes on this also gets much easier.

Here are some online resources which should help you learn more about Italian records and their extraction.

Italian Record Extraction--an essential resource
familyhistory.byu.edu/...efault.htm

Videos on Italian Records
familysearch.org/learn...22Italy%22

Italian Occupations
freepages.genealogy.ro...ngocc.html

And as always, I'm willing to help in any way. Just let me know.

Biff

#28: Re: Donato/Monteleone Plati, reggio Calabria Author: Donato PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:23 am
    ----
Wow - thank you so very much Biff. That is wonderful information.

I'm not sure you are aware but each year for birth, death, and marriage records usually will have an alphabetical index at the end of that year's records. Next to each name will be a number indicating the act number (numero). This should help cut down on your scrolling.

Yes, most of the rolls did have these indexes which made the searching so much easier, but not all of them. Those rolls are on their way back home now, as I wait for the next batch to arrive.

Thankyou again!~

#29: Re: Donato/Monteleone Plati, reggio Calabria Author: Donato PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:00 am
    ----
Today I think I have found the birth record for a great aunty but I cannot read the birth date or year.

#30: Re: Donato/Monteleone Plati, reggio Calabria Author: Donato PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:05 am
    ----
Also found this on the same roll of film, but don't know what it says. Do you think it relates to my g-grandfather Francesco Donato?

-> Where do I begin?