Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Introducing myself and familie Wechsler/Camerini/de Mattia
-> Northern Italy

#1: Introducing myself and familie Wechsler/Camerini/de Mattia Author: Mildura PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:08 am
    ----
Hi

I'm new to this forum and am researching the Italian roots of my extensive family. I would like to give you a short overview of families I am researching, the family background as such, and the reasons for my research.

The families I am researching:
- De Mattia (Francesco) -> Udine, Triest
- Gozzi (Laura) -> Udine, Triest
- Camerini (Rosa) -> Triest
- Durighello -> Venice
- Cambi / Cambo (italianized version of Wechsler) -> Triest, Vienna, Poland?
- Wechsler (Isreal, Hermann)-> Gorizia, Triest
- Engelhardt -> Gorizia, Triest
- Rödiger -> Gorizia, Triest
- Lun -> Bolzano, Gorizia, Triest
- Bautzer -> Gorizia, Triest maybe Slovian, Czech Republic
- Sinnett-Smith-> Naples, Sheffield

Family background:
The family is very international - but basically italian, austrian, british, french and maltese. A large part of the family stems from Italy, being either native Italians (some with jewish heritage) from the area around Udine / Trieste, Austrians who emigrated to Gorizia / Trieste, South Tyroleans from Bozano, British settling in Naples. Many went to live in Alexandria, Egypt between 1850 and 1900 or earlier in Aleppo now Syria. Those still in Egypt in the 1950s were forced to leave and are now scattered all over the world. Those with Austrian origin left the region after WWI or remained and were naturalized (italienized).

My aim:
To answer the question "Where are you from?" (finally)

To do this I need to understand my family history and to find out happened to the family members. We don't have a close knit family as a result of several generations in sequence having to relocate due to economic, political and religious reasons. This is why, all my life, I have been searching for my roots, knowing somehow they weren't there where I was told and having been proven true in my assumptions, after I began to dig deeper. In detail these are my goals:

- To find out what happened to the Austrian part of the family - I have almost no information on them after WWI.

- To find living Italian relatives descending from the Italian lines and reconnect.

- To find out what happened to the Jewish line, some being Italian of origin, some of Austrian and probably polish descent.

If you have read this far, I would like to thank you for your interest and patience.

Kind regards, Mildura

#2: Re: Introducing myself and familie Wechsler/Camerini/de Matt Author: martinagiardinoLocation: Rome PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:00 pm
    ----
The civil registry in Italy began in 1871. This is free, but you must have the correct date. There are the state archive, great! Unfortunately, you have to know Italian. I can help if you need it. Before 1871 you search the archives of the church (if they were Catholics). The Catholic curia in the area of Trieste is very good and friendly. If you send me more detailed data can help groped. Good luck.

-> Northern Italy