Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Really confused about this document
-> Translations

#1: Really confused about this document Author: kma2053 PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:45 pm
    ----
I'm not very good at deciphering these documents. I am looking for Guzzo relatives and any time I see a document with that name I try to figure out why my family name is there.

Here's the document supposedly matrimoni/processetti

thank you if anyone can help me. I can't figure out what it says at all. Can anyone decipher the whole thing for me? Then I can figure out the rest of them. That would be the biggest help ever! THank you.

Kathy

#2: Re: Really confused about this document Author: kma2053 PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:49 pm
    ----
sorry, here's the attachment.

#3: Re: Really confused about this document Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:07 pm
    ----
A bigger image would be better; this is too hard for old eyes!

#4: Re: Really confused about this document Author: kma2053 PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:03 pm
    ----
It made me make it smaller. Let me try making it bigger. thank you

#5: Re: Really confused about this document Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:26 am
    ----
It's a death record.

Maria Arcuri, aged 18, peasant farmer, died in her house located in Strada Sotto la Chiesa, Caraffa, died on Oct 23 1819.
She was the daughter of the deceased Cennaro(sp?) and of Ursola Carso(sp?) and wife of Antonio Decca(sp?)

Released March 7 1820.

#6: Re: Really confused about this document Author: kma2053 PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:26 pm
    ----
Then why does it mention Giuseppe Guzzo, age 20? Was he just a witness or something? Isn't chiesa church and Cennaaro is Gennaro. I can't see where it says "of Ursola Carso" Could it be Ursolalazzo. Not what I was hoping but thank you!

#7: Re: Really confused about this document Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:22 am
    ----
I have further examined the document:
Giuseppe Guzzo aged 20 is one of the 2 witnesses (the other one is Domenicantonio Grande aged 31) that went to the Town Hall to announce the death of Maria Arcuri.
"Strada sotto la Chiesa" is the name of the street address of the house where Maria Arcuri died and you are correct: the literal translation would be "street below the Church"
Maria Arcuri's mother is Ursola Guzzo and her father is Gennaro.
(it is very likely that Giuseppe Guzzo is a relative of Ursola)

#8: Re: Really confused about this document Author: kma2053 PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:45 pm
    ----
Livio, thank you so much for clarifying that for me. I'm on the right track then.

#9: Re: Really confused about this document Author: kma2053 PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:38 pm
    ----
When you see a document like this one.......who is the father and mother of the child and who is the declarant and the witnesses? Can anyone help me with this?

thank you so much.
Kathy

#10: Re: Really confused about this document Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:23 am
    ----
Usually the declarant is the father, in case the father is absent or ill the declarant can be the midwife or other person who assisted to the birth.
In the above document the declarant is the father: Antonio Guzzo son of the deceased Giuseppe, aged 34, tavern keeper, the mother is the wife of Antonio, Antonia Filippis, aged 28.
The witnesses (to the act, not to the birth) are Francesco Fimianno and Francesco Majuran(sp?) , they have no relevance from a genealogical point of view.

#11: Re: Really confused about this document Author: kma2053 PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:23 pm
    ----
thank you so much Livio! That's what I was thinking and hoping.

#12: Re: Really confused about this document Author: kma2053 PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:22 pm
    ----
I have my grandfather's birth certificate with his parents names on it and where he was born. Now, how do I find out info about his father, my great grandfather, and know for sure it's info about HIM? His name is Francesco guzzo and I've found a birth certificate in the LDS films for a Francesco born about the year I think he would have been born but how do I know it's my great grandfather? His father's name is the same as my grandfather so if Francesco is named after his grandfather and mine after his, then this could be the right Francesco. My grandfather named his first son Francesco after his father, the grandfather, but is this enough proof? Thank you to anyone that can shed any light on this for me.

#13: Re: Really confused about this document Author: MikeSavoca91 PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:51 pm
    ----
I would say there is a good chance that you found the correct birth act for Francesco. However, just to be sure I would try and locate the marriage record for your great grandparents. The marriage act would give the names of the bride and groom's parents, as well as if they were alive at the time or not. That would confirm if you found the correct record.

-> Translations