Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Has anyone ever used this site?
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Has anyone ever used this site? Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:10 pm
    ----
Yesterday, while googling my surnames, I came across this site:
www.ancientfaces.com

I noticed it had info on a person of interest to me. I clicked to see what they had and they had birth and death record (or so they said). When I went to click to view the record..of course it wanted money..but doesnt mention how much. You get 7 days free, then who knows, since I cant seem to find a dollar amount anywhere. (But, it was 3am, so I didnt look too hard).

Now, I have this information, anyway. I was curious to see what kind of birth record they had for this woman, since I had to send to Italy for one.

Next, I tried another name. I found my uncle. For him, they claim to have birth and death..and 3 divorces. The guy only had one..if that. I am not sure, actually, if he got a divorce before his wife died. And I sure wasnt paying to find out...since even if he had a divorce, it would be one, not 3.

So..is anyone familiar with the site? And has anyone paid to get the info?

#2: Re: Has anyone ever used this site? Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:50 pm
    ----

Just lookingthru their homepage it reminded me of sites that sell you a "coat of arms" or family crest.....not sure if it is legit....I would research it before I would sign up.......do a Google search on the site name with reviews.

#3: Re: Has anyone ever used this site? Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:29 pm
    ----
After I posted here, I went back there to look around more. I still never found the cost..but, I am not even interested now. I concluded a lot of their info comes from the SS death index. I am not at all sure, where their marriages, divorces or births come from..but, I think they are misleading people. I dont think they really have "your" persons records, but maybe those of someone else. (Or at least, thats how it looks to me.

In searching other names there..and going thru the surnames, many have not only multiple marriages, but births and divorces too, some in the double or triple digits. I dont know what they are counting, but I am sure nobody has 140 marriage records and 60 divorce records.

The dead giveaway here, was knowing that my grandmothers sisters birth was in Italy..and I am sure these people didnt send for her birth record...and yet they claim to have it.

I think this place is a scam.

#4: Re: Has anyone ever used this site? Author: autumndivonaLocation: Plattsmouth, Nebraska PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:13 am
    ----
Ancient Faces started out as a place where users can upload photos and family stories. If they provide any genealogical information at all, it's probably derived from public sources (such as the SSDI) or users. That and Dead Fred are great places to search every so often for photos, but not really good for primary research. Smile

#5: Re: Has anyone ever used this site? Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:38 am
    ----
Thanks. I have most of the info on my family, so I really didnt need to join/pay, but I was curious as to how they could have a birth record from someone who was born in Italy. I just made contact with the granddaughter of the woman (who is my new second cousin). She doesnt even have the info that I do (I have the birth record)..so I was just read curious as to what they actually have...which my guess is, nothing. I think they are doing a little false advertising there. I would have really been ticked off, if I was stupid enough to pay them to take a look. I know what it took me to get that birth record, so I was sure that whatever they claimed to have..they didnt.

-> General Discussion Groups