Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: what is/was the point in indexing these things?
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: what is/was the point in indexing these things? Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:44 pm
    ----
For probably 2 years straight, then on and off for a couple of years, I did indexing and arbitrating for the LDS. The reason I gave my time to this, was their records were supposed to be free for people to use.

My favorite thing to work on, were the censuses. I worked on many years..from the 1800s to the new 1940.

I never had to access census records from the LDS site. I had all that I needed and theirs were slow getting out there anyway.

I believe they said, when we worked on 1930..that the indexes were being compared to ancestries (i think). I took this to mean..when I arbitrated, i would be comparing..one by our workers..and one which existed from ancestry..which would really speed up the indexing. I never gave it another thought.

Well, today, I found myself wanting to access the census records for some new people that I found. Since I am not currently subscribing..but ancestry, for some reason is allowing me to access 1915 and 25 state censuses for NY (which are new) and the 1940 census, (which I have no clue why i can access these records), I cant access any other censuses without paying.

Aha..so, I will just go on over to the mormon site..where I worked for probably hundreds of hours..and use their census records (whichever they happen to have).

Well....when you click their images..where do you think it takes you? To ancestry.. where you have to pay the fee.

So tell me..what was the point of all of that work..if its taking me to ancestry anyway..where I have to pay? Why did the LDS make people make new indexes..when they could have just put a notice up......hey people..use ancestry. What was the point of this? Why did I waste hour upon hour indexing for them..thinking that these records would be free to access?

Can you tell that I am a little annoyed?

I seriously doubt ancestry has a copyright on public records...so why arent the mormons putting their own census records up? I thought thats why we were indexing the things. What a waste of time. But, I guess if they get free labor..they dont care. I am DONE with working for them.

#2: Re: what is/was the point in indexing these things? Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:41 pm
    ----
My bad. I might have jumped the gun here. I logged into my LDS account and it looks like I can access the 1920 census from there. Prior to just now..I never thought about logging in. So, maybe they are free to view if you have an account with the LDS.

#3: Re: what is/was the point in indexing these things? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:02 pm
    ----
I was just about to say that if you are logged in you can access the images. Glad you figured it out - and once in a while a bit of a rant is good for the soul! Smile

#4: Re: what is/was the point in indexing these things? Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:23 pm
    ----
LOL Thanks Nuccia. I had all the censuses I needed and never had to use the LDS records for censuses or much of anything else. The rare times I did searches there, I never logged in..but, I never found anything..so never even tried to grab a record. I dont know what made me decide to try and login..but, that did the trick. Before I even took the record, I logged in here in another window to say, my bad..lol

#5: Re: what is/was the point in indexing these things? Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:03 am
    ----
Are you guys saying that the 1915 NYC census and the 1925 are now searchable by name? Is it on both ancestry and the LDS web page? This is very exciting news!

#6: Re: what is/was the point in indexing these things? Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:02 am
    ----
They are just on ancestry and yes, searchable by name. For about a week, I was able to search those 2 and the 1940 and download the documents for free. I was using a link in my email to access. When they first came out with the 1940 census, I signed up there, to be informed when NY had an index. It was that email, telling me NY was done, that I used to access ancestry. On the page I landed on, it had the 1940 census, and below, the other two. The last time I tried to download a document, it wouldnt let me..however, I did not use that email link to get there. I dont know if it was one of those freebies that they offer sometimes, or using the link, that made me be able to download them (I am not currently subscribed). I got everything I needed tho.

The LDS has the 1905 census free.

-> General Discussion Groups