Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: backing up web pages
-> PC Info and Guides

#1: backing up web pages Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:04 am
    ----
I am having a little memory lapse here. Can someone remind me of how to back up my web pages to my hard drive in case of a crash. Do I copy and paste the code of each page to a wordpad document?

If there is an easier way to do it, I am all ears!

#2: Re: backing up web pages Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:11 am
    ----
I believe there is an option from your web server to back up all files. I knew of a way on my old PC but not sure yet how to do this here. I'm trying to organize things and will get back to you (unless someone else does first and then I can learn from them)

#3: Re: backing up web pages Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:57 pm
    ----
If access your site using cpanel, there is an option for backups and a backup wizard. I am assuming that you are referring to web site that you have with a web hosting company. At any rate different hosting companies may use different methods to access their servers so there the particulars may vary but the process are similar.

#4: Re: backing up web pages Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:02 pm
    ----
Thanks, Tom! I did that through the C panel and then saved it to my hard drive. So, is that sufficient for backing up a site in case of "disaster"?

#5: Re: backing up web pages Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:21 pm
    ----
That depends. With my hosting provider a full backup can be downloaded to preserve data, move to a new provider that uses cpanel, but one cannot use that backup to restore the site. One must make partial backups of the home directory, database(s), email, etc. if one wants to restore one's site from the backups. One could also pay extra and have the hosting provider make regular backups. There are many options.

-> PC Info and Guides