Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Where else to look if the "comune" had a fire?
-> Where do I begin?

#1: Where else to look if the "comune" had a fire? Author: tkconsiglio PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:58 pm
    ----
Ciao tutti!

So I have located my family in Napoli and the marriage certificate for my great grandparents (both born in 1901) I was able to get both of their parents names from this. However, the local comune had a fire and anything before 1900 was lost inthe fire.

I want to go back as many generations as I can. Anywhere else I can look?

My info:

Great-grandfather is Aniello Miele from the frazione "Piazza" in Roccarainola, Napoli. I believe he was born in 1901, maybe 1902 but I'm almost sure 1901. He immigrated to the states Jan. 11,1920 to join his dad Sabato (this is the name listed on the passenger record from ellisisland.org, but his dad's name on the marriage certificate says Sabbatino Miele (so his dad immigrated to the US before he did.) His dad (Sabbatino) was married to Maria Antoinetta DiBlaso. Aniello was married on July 28, 1918 to my great grandmother:

Adelina Vetrano
Who was born February 14,1901. Her parents are Maria Della Gala and Vitaliano Vetrano. She is from the frazione "Gargani" in Roccarainola, Napoli. She immigrated to the US to join her husband January 22, 1921.

Thanks for any and all help!!!
Grazie mille!

Kelly

#2: Re: Where else to look if the "comune" had a fire? Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:10 am
    ----

Do you know if there are films for that period at the Family History Center...is it perhaps possible that the records were photographed by the FHC before the fire destroyed the records?

Only other shot might be something that was sent to the province....or possibly in the local Church Records (although gaining access to these is usually very difficult).

#3: Re: Where else to look if the "comune" had a fire? Author: tkconsiglio PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:35 pm
    ----
Thank you Charlie! I will look into that!

#4: Re: Where else to look if the "comune" had a fire? Author: tkconsiglio PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:57 pm
    ----
Hi Charlie,

I went to the FHC website to learn more about LDS films that you mentioned. I searched their database and nothing came up. I also browsed their center locations, clicked on the Napoli Center, and there is no information for this center. Are ALL the LDS films they have on an online file?Or is there a chance that there still might be films, physically, at a center that are not online? And why can I not find any information on the center (i.e. phone number, address, etc.)? Or if you can point me to additional resources that can help me learn more about this that would be great too.

Sorry for so many questions, and you may not even know the answers. I just don't know where else to find answers. I am new to this business!

Thank you for any help you can offer.

-Kelly

#5: Re: Where else to look if the "comune" had a fire? Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:21 pm
    ----

The FHC is in the process of converting their records from Microfilm to digital images....they have millions of reels of microfilm and I am not sure where they are in the process. I have been trying to access their new web-site without having much luck over the last couple of days....not sure if anyone else has had this problem as well. The sources for vital records are the town/city hall...and possibly the Provincial archives and also the local churches (which usually don't allow access).

Of course the Family History Center also has microfilmed most of the available records from 1809-1912 (for Italy). The key is when did the fire occur (before any filming was done??). I would suggest that you call or visit your local Family History Center and see if they can determine if the records are availaible that you need to access. the folks are usually very helpful. If they are available, thye can help you order the microfilm or get you started if the images were digitized already.

#6: Re: Where else to look if the "comune" had a fire? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:02 pm
    ----
Your other option is to write to the archives. Usually two sets or records were produced - one at the town level and one was sent to the archives. If one doesn't have them the other should.

-> Where do I begin?