Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Help deciphering a name
-> Translations

#1: Help deciphering a name Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:50 am
    ----
I need help deciphering the mother's surname on this birth document as well as Cristofaro's wife's given name noted under his name in the left column in the attachment. I believe this was Ludovico's first wife and he remarried in 1886. I can possibly verified all of this if I can be clear on his first wife's surname.

#2: Re: Help deciphering a name Author: GigiLocation: New York PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:01 pm
    ----
I think his last name is: Oragotto, can't really make out her name though... I'm NOT 100% sure, but I think her first name is Lucrezia or Lucrecia. Something spelled similarly. I hope that helps!!!!

Gina

Researching: Roseti, Macrino, Gatto, Guida, Valenti, Nobile, Solce, Pignalitti

#3: Re: Help deciphering a name Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:01 pm
    ----
Thanks for trying, Gina. I know Cristofaro's surname--Dragotto; it's the mother's surname and his wife's given name that has me stymied. Maybe Luca or Livio will look in and lend their experienced eyes Smile

#4: Re: Help deciphering a name Author: GigiLocation: New York PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:12 pm
    ----
Sorry, I was kinda close, it could have passed for an O. I'll try again & see if I can make anything out.... I just LOVE puzzles!!!! LOL

Gina

#5: Re: Help deciphering a name Author: GigiLocation: New York PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:24 pm
    ----
Well, I've been looking... Obviously the last letter is an O. The first 2 look like MU. I know, I'm probably reaching. Gee, & I thought MY handwriting was sloppy!!! LOL. Does that help even a little bit???

Gina

#6: Re: Help deciphering a name Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:19 am
    ----
The mother is Francesca Stefana
On Nov 13 1908 he married Lucrezia Musso

#7: Re: Help deciphering a name Author: GigiLocation: New York PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:58 am
    ----
WOW you're good!!!!!!!

Gina

#8: Re: Help deciphering a name Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:43 pm
    ----
Thanks, Livio. I'm wondering if the mother's name should be Stefana Francesca?

#9: Re: Help deciphering a name Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:03 pm
    ----
Tom, I've looked better and now I'm not sure about Francesca, I don't see the "ra" after the "F". Stefana is indeed the first name.

#10: Re: Help deciphering a name Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:55 pm
    ----
How about Fum?sa Is that even close to a viable Italian surname?

Actually, I have discovered the surname Fumusa listed in marriage records for Belmonte so this may answer my own question.

#11: Re: Help deciphering a name Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:18 am
    ----
Fumusa makes sense! There are still some entries in the white pages for Belmonte Mezzagno: www.paginebianche.it/r...PA%29&l=en

#12: Re: Help deciphering a name Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:02 am
    ----
I am posting these for Charlie - he needs some help translating a little more than just the basic info as he is looking for clues. Perhaps we can
break them down for him one post at a time?
www.gentedimareitalian..._Cat.1.jpg
www.gentedimareitalian..._Cat.2.jpg
www.gentedimareitalian..._Cat.3.jpg
www.gentedimareitalian...l_Rosa.jpg
www.gentedimareitalian...Rosa.2.jpg
www.gentedimareitalian...Rosa.3.jpg

#13: Completely/Clearly translating/understanding Atti di nascita Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:50 am
    ----

Thanks Nuccia.....

Rosa Bellante was my GF's 1st wife and it seems she was an orphan....there was also a child named Cataldo Bellante born within a few days of her birth. The name Bellante does not seem to appear in any other records for Corato as I researched all the records for the town. The name does not appear in the area surrounding Corato on paginebianche today....the closest one I found was about 1 1/2 hours distant.

As Nuccia said I'm looking for any clues to her real identity as my Italian is basic (even though I have extracted a lot of documenti).

Thanks in advance....

#14: Re: Help deciphering a name Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:37 am
    ----
www.gentedimareitalian..._Cat.1.jpg
Record #741 - Birth Act of Cataldo Bellante, a Foundling, registered on Sept 6 1868 in Corato

www.gentedimareitalian..._Cat.2.jpg
Informant is Benedetta Mastrolillo daughter of deceased Giuseppe, 42, profession "foundling receiver" (pia ricevitrice dei trovatelli).
At 4am of the day Sep 3 she heard knocking her door in Strada Mazzini #2, and when she opened the door she saw a woman, that she did not know, who presented to her a male baby with an old white cotton diaper and a percalle shirt with no identifying signs. The informant veryfied that the baby was alive, few days old and had no sign that would allow his identiifcation in the future.
Benedetta gave the baby, to be fed, to the wet nurse Lucia Turli, aged 36 daughter of deceased Pasquale, residing in Corato Strada Crocifisso #5, wife of Francesco Colonna.
The baby was given by the Official, the name of Cataldo Bellante.
The declaration was made in front of the witnesses Michela Nesta and Filippo ?????
The act was signed only by the Officiale beimg the informat and the witnesse illitterate.

www.gentedimareitalian..._Cat.3.jpg this is the bottom part of the previous image.

www.gentedimareitalian...l_Rosa.jpg
Record #752 - Birth Act of Rosa Bellante, a Foundling, registered on Sept 12 1868 in Corato

www.gentedimareitalian...Rosa.2.jpg
Informant is Benedetta Mastrolillo daughter of deceased Giuseppe, 42, profession "foundling receiver" (pia ricevitrice dei trovatelli).
At 9pm of the day Sep 8 she heard knocking her door in Strada Mazzini #2, and when she opened the door she saw a woman, that she did not know, who presented to her a female baby with an old white cotton diaper and a percalle shirt with a red ribbon tied on the feet. The informant verified that the baby was alive, few days old and had no sign that would allow his identiifcation in the future.
Benedetta gave the baby, to be fed, to the wet nurse Antonia Miuzzi, aged 24 daughter of deceased Domenico, residing in Corato Strada prima Traversa San Damiano #2, single.
The baby was given by the Official, the name of Rosa Bellante.
The declaration was made in front of the witnesses Cataldo Aragone and Francesco ????
The act was signed only by the Officiale beimg the informat and the witnesse illitterate.

The side note states that Rosa married on Nov 26 1886 Francesco M???? son of Cataldo

www.gentedimareitalian...Rosa.3.jpg this is the bottom part of the previous image.

#15: Re: Help deciphering a name Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:12 am
    ----

Thanks Livio.

Looks like there are no clues to indentify either Rosa Bellante or Cataldo Bellante's parents.....and also no way to determine if they were related to each other....sounds like someone liked the name Bellante.

Cordiali saluti

-> Translations