Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: different last names
-> Where do I begin?

#1: different last names Author: ttaylo02Location: Hanover, PA PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:46 pm
    ----
Hi. I am new to this site. My father recently passed away and left a book, kind of a family tree type of thing. Most of the names were from his mothers side. I am confused about his fathers father. On my grandfather's marriage certificate it says his last name is Fiorenza which is my maiden name, but says his father's name was Domenico Garectano Vittorio. I don't understand where the Fiorenza came from. My father never spoke of his grandfather on fathers side only of maternal family. My grandfather, Salvatore Fiorenza was born in Stilo 7/27/1900. He had a sister Stella Fiorenza and also a brother, no name recorded. I do not have a birth certificate. Am not sure where or who Vittorio comes from, possibly Palermo, dad did mention that area at times, but his maternal family lived in Pazzano, Reggio Calabria area. Mother was Caterina( Zannino) Fiorenza, grandmother, Catherine (Spagnola) Zannino. Any suggestions on how to find out anything about the grandfather?

#2: Re: different last names Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:24 am
    ----
Can you post a copy of the record for us to see?

#3: Re: different last names Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:33 am
    ----
Usually in a marriage record (as well as birth or death record) the surname of the father is omitted because it is the same of the child. Domenico Gaetano Vittorio is the complete given name of your ggrandfather and Fiorenza is the "implicit" surname, since he is the father of Salvatore Fiorenza.
It is very likely that your record reads "Salvatore Fiorenza, figlio di Domenico Gaetano Vittorio"
In any case, as Nuccia suggested, if you post a copy of the record we can be more precise.

#4: Re: different last names Author: drusilla PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:54 am
    ----
Ellis Island record Nov 22 1923
Salvatore Fiorenza 23y, parents DOMENICO FIORENZA & VITTORIA GERACITANO
Passano, Reggio Calabria

Ellis Island records 1932 ship Roma
CATERINA ZANNINO FIORENZA B 1907 Father SALVATORE, Passano, Reggio, Calabria. Going to husband Salvatore Fiorenza. Baltimore, Maryland

1940 census Baltimore, Maryland
Sam Fiorenza 39
Catherine 33
Catherine 6
Sam 5

#5: Re: different last names Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:09 am
    ----
With the precious info provided by drusilla the record should read: "Salvatore Fiorenza, figlio di Domenico e di Geracitano Vittoria"

#6: Re: different last names Author: ttaylo02Location: Hanover, PA PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:31 pm
    ----
Tank you all for your responses. Now I know that my great-grandfather's name is Fiorenza. I was beginning to wonder if there was a death or adoption or something. Strange that my father only spoke of his maternal side of family, but now I can try to do some research on my own. I will try to upload the document.

#7: Re: different last names Author: ttaylo02Location: Hanover, PA PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:09 pm
    ----
copy of document

#8: Re: different last names Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:09 am
    ----
The picture is too small!

#9: Re: different last names Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:29 am
    ----
Yes, I tried to enlarge it as well but it becomes distorted. Would it be easier for you to email it to me instead and I can post here for you? Let me know and I will inbox you my email address.

-> Where do I begin?