Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: STAR BREAD
-> Recipes

#1: STAR BREAD Author: USCottini PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:30 pm
    ----
When I visit my Italian Relatives in Springfield MA, I can find STAR Bread. When I was small several places had it and it was truly shaped like a 5 pointed star. I was still able to find it last year but only one place makes it and they now shape n something that looks more like an H instead of a star. I would like to obtain a recipe for this bread. It is probably from Northern Italy as the Italians that settled in Springfield are from the north.
Thanks.

#2: Re: STAR BREAD Author: gillaf1 PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:16 am
    ----
Did you try asking the bakery? I am not familiar with that bread so no help here. Sorry!

#3: Re: STAR BREAD Author: USCottini PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:57 pm
    ----
Thanks for response. The store where we got it did not bake it but I do have a copy of the label so I might be able to get in touch with them.

#4: Re: STAR BREAD Author: gillaf1 PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:54 am
    ----
If you get a chance, would you mind posting the info from the label on here? Thanks!

#5: Re: STAR BREAD Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:38 am
    ----
Yes, please post - I would also like to see that.

#6: Re: STAR BREAD Author: USCottini PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:00 pm
    ----
I cannot figure out how to attach label copy but it says:

Balboni's Star Bread

Ingredients: wheat flour (bleached wheat flour, niacin reduced from thiamine menonitrate, riboflavin, folic acid, malted barley flour, potassium bromate) salt, yeast, water, liquid soybean oil, shortening.

Per my cousin lots of bakeries used to make it but this is the last one.

#7: Re: STAR BREAD Author: gillaf1 PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:55 am
    ----
Thanks for posting the info about Star Bread. Besides the name is there any info about the bakery on the label. Like: address, phone number, web site, etc?

#8: Re: STAR BREAD Author: GigiLocation: New York PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:39 pm
    ----
I Googled it, & found this...

le-ricette-della-nonna...omune.html

INGREDIENTS 1 kg of flour 0 500 g biga 400 ml of warm water 50 g fresh yeast (2 cubes) 20 grams of salt

PROCEDURE Form the fountain with the flour, put in the center of the chariot, combine the yeast and mix a little with a little water. Combine the salt (dissolved in a little water) and the rest of the water, mixing with your hands until you have a smooth ball and uniform (5 min.) Put the ball in a bowl, cover with film, then with a cloth and let rise until doubled (15-20 minutes) at room temperature. Take small pieces of dough and give the desired shapes (cross, montasù, Mustafa, barrel, etc.). Put them well apart on sheets of baking paper, cover with a nylon cloth and let them rise at room temperature until doubled (30-40 minutes). Practicing cuts with a razor blade if necessary (for the barrel, homemade, etc..) and bake until golden brown in a preheated oven at 200 ° C-220 ° C, placing the pan in the lower part of the oven. bread out of the oven, place it to cool on a wire rack or in a wicker basket covered with a cloth, and serve. At this point, the You can also freeze bread, slipped into bags for food. necessary, remove the bread from the freezer and put it directly in the oven until it thaws and heats become slightly crispy

-> Recipes