Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: The Passing of Pavarotti
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: The Passing of Pavarotti Author: MauroMagsLocation: New Jersey PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:45 am
    ----
I'm curious to see how Italians (living in Italy) view the passing of Pavarotti. Immigrants in the U.S. adored him, but those sentiments might be skewed since they stem from a population longing for anything from the homeland.

I was a big fan, but i wonder if Italians (living in Italy) themselves viewed him as a national hero or just another celebrity.

Any thoughts?

#2: Re: The Passing of Pavarotti Author: Cathy PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:44 pm
    ----
I would think he would be a national hero there. But I can only guess. The world has lost a great tenor, known throughout the world. Many say the greatest tenor that ever lived. I would agree. From my personal perspective, this man brought me back to the music that I grew up listening to in my house growing up. My father played opera in the house all the time and still had his mother's old 78rpm records of Enrico Caruso and others. Besides the opera records, my father played the violin, mandolin, and a vast array of other musical insturments and often played the same music Pavarotti sang (in addition to many Neopolitan songs). I am grateful he brought me back and for his beautiful gift of song.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uYrmYXsujI

#3: Re: The Passing of Pavarotti Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:55 pm
    ----
Wow, I never even heard that he had passed away until now. I never watch tv anymore....I know my mother in law loved him. I'll have to call her later to see how she feels about it.

#4: Re: The Passing of Pavarotti Author: chanchisfea PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:30 pm
    ----
First thing I saw in the news this morning and first thing I thought was "great...did he have to die today???????" Not that he had any choice, but it's my mom's birthday today and she loves him!!!! Sad

Liz Cool

#5: Re: The Passing of Pavarotti Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:22 pm
    ----
MauroMags wrote:
I'm curious to see how Italians (living in Italy) view the passing of Pavarotti. Immigrants in the U.S. adored him, but those sentiments might be skewed since they stem from a population longing for anything from the homeland.

I was a big fan, but i wonder if Italians (living in Italy) themselves viewed him as a national hero or just another celebrity.

Any thoughts?

Oh yes.... Italy is in deep mourning - they adored him for his simplicity as a man and as perhaps the world's greateat tenor. IMHO he surpassed even Gigli.

Modenese were out in force all day and this evening they were awaiting his body to arrive at Modena cathedral where he will lie 'in state' until the funeral on Saturday.

This morning I heard the Mayor of Modena, in tears, announce that the municipal theatre in Modena is to be known from now as the Luciano Pavarotti Theatre. There are many dignitaries due at the funeral - he was indeed dearly loved.

One of his close friends said that he was at home this morning quietly playing cards with a group of his 'local' friends when he died. A fitting end for a man who never forgot his simple beginnings!

On a personal note - I am thankful for the modern technology that will allow me to continue to listen to his wonderful voice and dream that he is still with us!

May he rest in peace in Heaven and sing in his usual way with the choir he will find there....

Addio maestro!

#6: Re: The Passing of Pavarotti Author: carnieLocation: Barnsley. South Yorks. PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:11 pm
    ----
Carole I endorse your sentiments whole heartedly, a man who very forgot his roots. As a child I listened with my grandfather to the great Enrico Caruso who for me was the best, what a chorus they must be having in heaven.
Rest in Peace Big Man, and thank you.

#7: Re: The Passing of Pavarotti Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:32 pm
    ----
Found this on the official website of Fuscaldo in Cosenza Province.
Benvenuto nel sito ufficiale del Comune di Fuscaldo
Ciao big Luciano: Fuscaldo si unisce al lutto per la scomparsa del maestro Pavarotti
07 settembre 2007

L’Amministrazione comunale e l’intera comunità fuscaldese, in questo triste e doloroso giorno, si stringono attorno ai familiari del Maestro LUCIANO PAVAROTTI. Con la morte del Maestro, un grande lutto colpisce l’Italia ed il mondo. Con Lui, se ne va un pezzo della storia musicale italiana che ha saputo farsi apprezzare ed ha raccolto successi in quasi tutte le parti del globo.

-> General Discussion Groups