Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: DNA Testing
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: DNA Testing Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:34 am
    ----
I have personally decided that I do not want to do any DNA testing as for me I think it is opening "Pandora's Box" --- what do I do if I don't like what I find out. So far, I have traced my "Italian roots" back to Circa 1535 in Puglia; I have also been told (not verified) that my Maternal Grandparents families have been in Calabria since 1300 and 1600. I am happy to be Italian.

However my wife has expressed an interest in doing her DNA testing, for her Sicilian and Abbruzzese ancestors. I have done a little bit of searching online and I see there are many options; I also see that it can get quite costly with all the optional testing in addition to the basic test kits.

I am looking for info on what others have done themselves and seeking their recommendations.

Thanks......

PS _ I also wanted to move the needle as there have not been any new posts for a long time Twisted Evil

#2: Re: DNA Testing Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:39 am
    ----
I had my brother test with 23&Me for me as it is best to have a male in the family do it - traces both male and female lines. I found it was fun and informative and deals a lot with Health reports (which to be honest I have refused to look at and it's been years.) I love how they keep updating the content. My son has now agreed to take the test so I'm really excited to see how it pans out. I think it's a personal choice but for me I'm glad we did it.

-> General Discussion Groups