Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Other family
-> Non-Italian Genealogy

#1: Other family Author: Gina501Location: Houston, Texas PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:55 pm
    ----
Hey all. I have a dilemma. My mother's family is Arabic from Syria. Unfortunately, my grandparents were born in New York and don't recall anything about my great grandparents coming over. My dilemma is such: I have no way to get any help with this side. There are no Arabic forums, like our Italian forums that I know of. I have no way to network like I do here and at IG.

I have created a website like my Italian website and dropped it into my mother's email signature. She's retired and emails a billion people a day so I am hoping that somehow, somewhere, someone in the world sees it and contacts me. Gina's Arabic Family Tree

I have spoken to James Bianco about this as he is part Arabic too. Between us we can come up with nothing. I am wondering if anyone knows anything that might help me? Do you know of any sites or a better way of doing this? I would appreciate any and all answers.

#2: Re: Other family Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:40 pm
    ----
Hi, Gina, this will probably be my last post until I return from paradise. Smile I would go to tripadvisor.com and check out the country you are interested in on their forums. There is usually a local expert and they may be able to hook you up. I did this on the Turkey board because I think one of my ggf's died there. The local expert was able to give me some information on the local Italian/Catholic churches in Istanbul.

#3: Re: Other family Author: Cathy PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:15 pm
    ----
Arabic - as in Saudi Arabia or a different country? Do you know anything else?

#4: Re: Other family Author: Gina501Location: Houston, Texas PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:23 pm
    ----
Yes. My mother's 4 grandparents were all born in Syria. My grandfathers parents came in 1901 and my grandmothers parents came in 1920. But I don't know where to go from there. How do I go about getting records? Who knows what went on in those places? I don't even know if they kept records before 1900.

#5: Re: Other family Author: ricbruLocation: TRENTO - ITALIA PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:17 pm
    ----
Do you have any manifest ship about them? do you know if they ever naturalized as US citizens? Do you have any of their social security numbers? Death records? Anything......so we can see where they really cam from
ciao Riccardo

#6: Re: Other family Author: Gina501Location: Houston, Texas PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:41 pm
    ----
yes, I have their Ellis Island entries. They all naturalized and I have their SSN and death records. I know they all came from Aleppo. Don't know how to go about getting birth records so I can see their parents names and go back further.

#7: Re: Other family Author: Cathy PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:45 pm
    ----
Will any of these help?
Annual genealogical report, Form E, 1907-1951 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Near East Mission
Annual genealogical report, Form E, 1907-1951 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Norwegian Mission

Baptisms, marriages and burials at Aleppo, Syria from Levant Company's records, 1756-1800

Church records, 1843-1938 Armenian Apostolic Church (Aleppo, Syria)

Record of members, 1885-1909 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Turkish Mission

#8: Re: Other family Author: Gina501Location: Houston, Texas PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:56 am
    ----
Well, duh...... Sorry for being so silly Cathy. I guess I never thought to check the FHL. I guess I just figured that Syria wouldn't be there. So thanks for pointing out the obvious to me. Sometimes I swear I'm sleeping through life! That's a big help. I think I will finally get off my duff and order these films!

#9: Re: Other family Author: Cathy PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:19 pm
    ----
While you wait for those films, did you try any of these websites?
genealogytoday.com/family/syrian/
home.att.net/~lynnkz/dolan.html
www.genealogy-quest.co...aredo.html
There is a bit of information out there on the genealogy of Syrian Jews - were they Jewish?

#10: Re: Other family Author: Gina501Location: Houston, Texas PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:41 pm
    ----
No they were always Christians. Way back. Back as far as Christianity goes in Syria. If they were Jewish it would be easy to find them. There are good resources for Jews. But..... of course not.

#11: Re: Other family Author: Gina501Location: Houston, Texas PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:25 pm
    ----
Ok, I have tried Cathy's website suggestions, and Lori's suggestion, and even wrote to the Syrian Consulate which was Riccardo's suggestion. And NOTHING! I will get films from the FHC but that will take a few months. Does anyone have anything else I can go on for now? My mother thinks I am purposedly ignoring her side of the family... ( besides I still have a few unanswered questions from the 69 year old aunt that cussed me out!)

#12: Re: Other family Author: Cathy PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:43 pm
    ----
Do you know what religion they were?

#13: Re: Other family Author: MikeSavoca91 PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:53 pm
    ----
I forgot about that aunt. Call her up again and if she won't help throw something at her neclord ! I still don't know how some people refuse to help. She must have something in her closet Shocked !

#14: Re: Other family Author: Gina501Location: Houston, Texas PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:18 pm
    ----
Yes, Cathy they were Catholic.

Yes, Mike and I know what's in her closet but I can't post that here!! By the way....where have you been?

#15: Re: Other family Author: MikeSavoca91 PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:56 pm
    ----
Long, bummmmmmpy story Gina, I will get on skype by tomorrow (I SWEAR!) and we can all talk. I miss you. When am I going to see you or did the plans for this month change?

-> Non-Italian Genealogy