Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Grammar question: Carole
-> Translations

#1: Grammar question: Carole Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:54 pm
    ----
Hi, Carole, or any one else who cares to chime in! Can you tell me where to place a direct object if I am using the passato prossimo. So if I want to say I have read it, where do I place the "it"? Is it "ho lo letto" or is it "lo ho letto?" And what about something like "I read it to you" Where does the "vi" go? Question

#2: Re: Grammar question: Carole Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:13 am
    ----
lo ho letto (I read it)
te lo ho letto (I read it to you)

#3: Re: Grammar question: Carole Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:09 am
    ----
To say 'I read it to you' I would say "Io a te ho letto" or "Io vi ho letto"
So would that be wrong Livio?

#4: Re: Grammar question: Carole Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:24 am
    ----
Carole wrote:
To say 'I read it to you' I would say "Io a te ho letto" or "Io vi ho letto"
So would that be wrong Livio?
I read it to you =
(Io) te lo ho letto [you is one person to whom you are familiar]
(Io) glielo ho letto [ you is one person to whom you are not familiar]
(Io) ve lo ho letto [you is referred to more than one person]

You may omit the word Io

#5: Re: Grammar question: Carole Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:17 am
    ----
Grazie mille, Carole e Livio! My teacher does not explain these fine details well, so I REALLY appreciate your explanation. Smile

-> Translations